In case you get pleasure from visiting Christmas markets, you then’re positive to get pleasure from Winchester Christmas Market. Set in a novel location subsequent to Winchester Cathedral, this festive market is among the finest within the UK. It’s full title is Winchester Cathedral Christmas Market.
Also known as England’s Christmas capital, Winchester is a really picturesque metropolis in Hampshire, England. We commonly get pleasure from days out right here, when driving right down to see household in close by Dorset. Learn on for the most effective insider recommendations on when to go to, the place to eat and snap up some fantastic presents at Winchester Christmas Market this 12 months.
1. Winchester Cathedral Christmas Market Dates
Winchester Cathedral Christmas Market is held yearly and has turn out to be some of the widespread Christmas markets in Nice Britain. These are the confirmed dates for Winchester Christmas Market 2023:
Friday 17 November to Thursday 21 December
2. About Winchester Christmas Market
This widespread British Christmas Market was based in 2006 and has grown from 40 stalls to round 118 as we speak. Awarded one of many high 8 Christmas Markets in Europe by The New York Publish, it has over 450,000 guests annually.
Winchester Cathedral’s Christmas Market takes inspiration from conventional German Christmas markets. The merchants come from all around the UK and are hand picked for the standard of their merchandise.
3. The place is Winchester Christmas Market?
The market is located within the Internal Shut of Winchester Cathedral. Keep in mind that if you arrive at Cathedral Shut, the Christmas market isn’t instantly seen.
There are a number of stalls in entrance of the cathedral itself, and for those who don’t know Winchester city centre very nicely you may assume that that is the extent of the festive market. An indication signifies to guests that they need to go proper however with the crowds it’s straightforward to overlook Winchester Cathedral’s Christmas Market.
Nonetheless, for those who observe these crowds by means of Curle’s Passage to the best of the Cathedral, one can find the Internal Shut and nearly all of the wood chalets. Named after Bishop Curle who commissioned the passage in 1632, this archway gave pedestrians a path to the Internal Shut.
Earlier than that, they needed to stroll by means of the cathedral to get there. The passageway is sort of slender and at peak occasions it may possibly get congested so arm your self with persistence and loads of time.
Winchester Christmas Market tackle: Winchester Cathedral, Internal Shut, Winchester, Hampshire SO23 9LS
4. Winchester Christmas Market Value
There isn’t a entry charge for Winchester Christmas Market and you’ll exit the market and reenter with no problem. There’s additionally no timed entry, so queuing could also be needed at busy occasions.
5. Meals and Drink at Winchester Christmas Market
You could have loads of selection for the place to eat at Winchester Christmas market. Most of the stalls serve festive meals and mulled wine.
Winchester Christmas Market Meals Courtroom is a choice of meals stalls fairly than a meals court docket, with choices together with German bratwurst sausages, British fish and chips, French raclette cheese, mulled wine and different delicacies.
That is probably the most atmospheric approach of consuming at Winchester Christmas Market. Benches can be found nonetheless there are not any lined areas so if it’s raining, then it’s finest to move to The Refectory.
Also called Winchester Cathedral Cafe, it’s positioned earlier than you undergo Curle’s Passage. This self service cafe has loads of area indoors and within the courtyard terrace backyard. It’s open from 10 am to 4.30 pm. The cafe has disabled entry and bathroom services.
If it’s actually busy, you may desire to eat at one of many cafes or eating places close by. Listed below are a number of of our favourites positioned close to to Winchester Christmas Markets:
- The Dispensary Kitchen – an informal all day eatery positioned on The Sq..
- The Ivy Winchester Brasserie – in the midst of the Excessive Avenue, it’s fantastically adorned for the festive season.
- The Winchester Orangery – presumably probably the most Instagrammable cafe in Winchester!
6. Procuring at Winchester Christmas Market
Because the retailers are every chosen by the Winchester Cathedral staff, they’re all top quality exhibitors. You received’t discover any cheesy presents right here!
The stalls range annually and in reality a few of them are solely exhibiting for half of the occasion. New stalls arrange on 7 December.
On the date of our go to firstly of Winchester Christmas Market, there have been some nice exhibitors together with Pollyfields, who make handcrafted wreaths and desk decorations. Their merchandise odor superb they usually have been not too long ago awarded finest stand on the separate Nation Properties & Interiors Journal Honest.
We additionally just like the vary of clothes stands, and we snapped up a few reversible shawls – one as a a present and one for ourselves! The Polish crockery stand is one other good one for presents.
7. Makers’ Market
One other good function of the truthful is the Makers’ Market, previously generally known as the British Crafts Village. This part of the market options distinctive presents by proficient craftspeople. It’s straightforward to seek out, as there’s an enormous pink sign up entrance of the cloisters the place the Maker’s Chalet studios are positioned.
Among the many small unbiased retailers there are glass makers and textile artists, along with stalls promoting handmade Christmas tree decorations, wood animal sculptures and jewelry.
8. Winchester Nativity Scene
On the finish of the British Crafts Village there’s an enthralling nativity scene, reminding all the message of Christmas. It was designed by native schoolchildren and is a well-liked picture spot.
9. Winchester Christmas Market Opening Occasions
Winchester Christmas Market is open from 10.00am – 6.00pm Sunday – Thurday and 10.00am – 8.00pm Friday – Saturday.
We advocate that you just go to Winchester Christmas Market in the course of the week if in any respect attainable. It will get very busy at weekends, so if it’s important to come then, attempt to go to within the morning.
10. Are Canine Allowed at Winchester Christmas Market?
While you might be allowed to deliver canines to the Christmas Market, they have to be stored on a leash or carried. It’s strongly advisable to not deliver canines on the weekend because it’s often so busy.
11. Group Bookings for Winchester Christmas Market
Coach events are requested to guide prematurely. Winchester Cathedral supplies a meet and greet service for teams and can help in reserving excursions of the Cathedral.
Winchester Vacationer Info Centre may help with itineraries or suggesting locations to remain. Contact Winchester Cathedral Customer Staff on +44 1962 857 225 or by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and Winchester Vacationer Info Centre on 01962 840 500.
12. Parking For Winchester Christmas Market
It’s advisable to come back by public transport or to make use of a Park and Trip bus. There are automobile parks within the centre of Winchester however they are typically very busy when the market is open.
13. The place Are The Bogs at Winchester Christmas Market?
There aren’t any bathrooms contained in the Internal Shut, nonetheless for those who’re a consumer of the Cathedral Refectory, there are public conveniences positioned there. You can even discover bathrooms with disabled entry and child altering services within the Cathedral Guests’ Centre, for which there’s a cost.
14. Is Winchester Christmas Market Accessible for Wheelchairs?
The principle sections of Winchester Honest within the Internal and Outer Shut are accessible for wheelchair customers. Nonetheless, the British Craft Village is positioned throughout the historic cloisters up a flight of stairs.
15. Winchester Christmas Market Occasions
There are many different attention-grabbing occasions in Winchester at Christmastime. This 12 months, a Group Stage will spotlight jazz teams, native choirs, metropolis buskers and group bands.
No surprise the city is named England’s Christmas capital! The next listing of Winchester Christmas occasions shouldn’t be exhaustive:
- Opening Ceremony of the Christmas Market – 17 November at 5.50 pm
- The Salvation Military Festive Efficiency – 17 November at 6 pm
- Lantern Parade – 24 November from 5 pm
- Winchester Group Choir – 28 November at 5 pm
- Creation Procession – 2 December at 6.30 pm
- An Creation Journey – 3 December at 3.30 pm
- Creation Evensong – 4-9 December at 5.30 pm
- Market Carols – 10 & 17 December at 3.30 pm
- A Winchester Christmas – 11, 12 & 16 December at 4 pm; 13, 20 & 22 December at 5.30 pm
- Christmas Household Craft Workshops – ticketed occasions from 18-21 December.
- Christmas Household Excursions – ticketed occasions from 18-21 December (youngsters go free).
- Carol Companies – 19 & 21 December at 6.30 pm
- The Huge Nativity – 23 December at 11 am and three pm
- Carols with the Blessing of the Crib – 24 December at 5.30 pm
- Midnight Mass – 24 December at 11 pm
- Christmas Day Companies – 25 December from 8 am
16. Winchester Christmas Market Lodges
We advocate staying in Winchester for no less than one night time to get probably the most out of your go to. Listed below are the most effective centrally positioned residences and inns close to Winchester Christmas Market.
- Hotel du Vin – simply 6 minutes stroll from Winchester Cathedral, with a beautiful out of doors terrace.
- The Old Vine – this mid vary possibility has an award-winning oak beamed bar and a restaurant.
- The Winchester Hotel and Spa – has an award profitable restaurant and an amazing spa.
- Wykeham Arms – beautiful bedrooms in a historic pub with log fires.
In case you’re coming by automobile, Lainston House is a good selection. This magnificent Georgian nation home is about in 63 acres of parkland and is a 30 minute drive to Winchester centre.
17. Get to Winchester Christmas Market
It’s straightforward to get to Winchester – listed here are a few of the finest choices:
By automobile – take the M3 or A34 and think about using a Park and Trip automobile park because it will get very busy within the centre of Winchester.
By prepare – from London Waterloo to Winchester through South Western Rail.
Personal Tour to Winchester – see Jane Austen’s House Museum And Historic Winchester on a Private Tour From London.
Small Group Tour to Winchester – take a Small-Group Day Trip to Stonehenge, Glastonbury, and Winchester from London.
Different Issues to Do in Winchester
Winchester is the county city of Hampshire and an actual foodie and procuring hub. At Christmastime, Winchester Excessive Avenue has a big illuminated tree and the retailers are fantastically adorned.
The primary king of England, Egbert, was topped in Winchester. Town was the capital of England till 1066 when it was transferred to Westminster.
Guests can’t assist however be impressed by the wealth of historic sights right here, together with:
- Literary Walking Tour – uncover the hyperlinks between well-known authors equivalent to Jane Austen and John Keats with Winchester.
- The Nice Corridor – based in 1067, it homes the Spherical Desk of King Arthur, which really dates from the thirteenth century.
- The Hospital of St Cross – the oldest almshouse nonetheless in use within the UK, it dates from 1132.
- Traditional Pubs Walking Tour – go to the most effective pubs in Winchester and find out about their historical past throughout this 2.5 hour small group guided tour.
- Winchester Cathedral – this medieval citadel is the resting place of Jane Austen, Saxon kings and likewise incorporates the twelfth century Winchester Bible.
- Winchester Faculty – this boarding college is regarded as the oldest regularly operating college within the UK.
- Winchester Army Museums – together with The Gurkha Museum in Peninsula Barracks.
- Wolvesey Fortress – the ruins of the Outdated Bishop’s Palace are positioned subsequent to Winchester Cathedral.
Closing Ideas on Winchester Christmas Market
We hope that you just’ve discovered this information to the Christmas markets in Winchester useful. It actually is a superb time of 12 months to go to the town and Winchester Christmas Market is no doubt among the finest UK festive markets.
So is Winchester Christmas Market price it? We positively assume so! It’s an amazing place to seek out charming presents and decors. With its festive environment, the market positively will get you into the vacation spirit.
For extra concepts of locations to go to within the UK, remember to try our different articles.
Learn all our UK travel guides right here
You may additionally get pleasure from:
Like this information to Winchester Xmas market? Pin for later or share with buddies.
On the lookout for extra journey hacks and suggestions? From hidden gems to distinctive experiences, we’ve received you lined.