Over the 20-odd years I’ve been shopping for “severe” watches, I’ve bought extra items bearing the Jaeger-LeCoultre model title than every other, by far.
So far as I’m involved, there are many good causes for this, however maybe what shaped my early attraction was Jaeger-LeCoultre’s storied historical past as a developer of actions utilized by many different high-end manufacturers.
The mix of intelligent motion design and good worth for cash has stored the model related for me at the same time as I’ve had the great fortune to incorporate different premium manufacturers and impartial items in my assortment.
Throughout the Jaeger-LeCoultre pantheon, one watch sub-group stands out for me: the Reverso. Between my spouse and I, we’ve purchased a complete of seven Reverso fashions, and we nonetheless have 5 of these in our watch packing containers.
On condition that, why add one other? On this occasion, the Reverso Tribute to 1931?
Why I Purchased It
As with many of those tales, it’s in regards to the individuals. On this case, Philippe Bonay, who in 2011 was named president of Jaeger-LeCoultre’s operations within the North America. As a part of my first SIHH, I participated in our collector group’s personal go to to the model’s sales space, and Philippe was sort sufficient to hitch us for a portion of our go to.
One of many SIHH introductions that 12 months was the Tribute to Reverso 1931, a really good-looking, ultra-thin watch commemorating the eightieth anniversary of the unique Reverso’s introduction.
Throughout our dialogue of that watch, Philippe talked about, with nice pleasure, a challenge that he had underway: a limited-production model of the “TTR” for america market with a particular mixture of dial and palms. He additionally described one other particular function of this model: a cordovan strap made by Casa Fagliano, the Argentine producer of ultra-high-end polo boots.
Whereas I discovered the usual TTR 1931 stunning, I assumed the idea of the limited-production U.S. watch sounded even higher. Sadly for me (on the time), the run of 100 watches for 2011 with a black cordovan strap bought earlier than I might get my palms on one.
Generally, nevertheless, life presents us with second probabilities, and in 2012, Jaeger-LeCoultre introduced a second sequence of 100 items, every bearing a mouth-watering darkish brown cordovan Fagliano strap.
Additional success struck: my favourite licensed Jaeger-LeCoultre supplier acquired an allocation of one in all these watches, and after a short dialogue it was mine.
Why I Love It
For me, there are a bunch of explanation why this watch known as my title within the first place and why it’s a frequent wearer.
* Initially, it’s a Reverso by way of and thru. Let’s face it: I like the Reverso! That well-proportioned rectangular form; the three grooves on the high and backside edges of the case; the cool flipping mechanism; even the lore about its invention to guard the delicate crystals of watches as they had been worn throughout polo matches appeals to me.
* As an homage to the unique 1931 Reverso, this piece is, if something, much more intently linked to all the things that makes a Reverso distinctive than different household fashions. The branding on the dial is “Reverso,” not the same old “Jaeger-LeCoultre.” And for this U.S. restricted manufacturing model, even the font of the phrase “Reverso” is matched as intently as doable to the unique 1931 watch, as is the form of the “hypodermic” palms.
* I just like the fake patina on the palms and markers. This can be a level of some controversy amongst Reverso fans, as some argue that the yellowish-orange look ought to be earned over years of sluggish oxidation, not purchased as a part of the design of a model new watch. Maybe I’m within the minority, however I feel the colour selection is nice, particularly with the brown strap.
* Talking of straps: the Casa Fagliano brown cordovan each feels nice and appears nice, and the watch additionally comes with a glossy matte black crocodile strap when you’d choose a change of tempo. I additionally plan to pair this watch with the particular strap containing teal highlights that Jaeger-LeCoultre supplied to learn ovarian most cancers consciousness and analysis (see Jaeger-LeCoultre Fights Ovarian Cancer With Collector Events).
* The chrome steel case is a winner. For me, there are some watches that simply appear extra pure in metal, and that is one in all them. It gives a crisp look, contrasts effectively with the black dial, and makes the watch inexpensive sufficient that I would simply persuade myself to have the clear reverse aspect of the case adorned with some kind of personalised engraving, identical to Jaeger-LeCoultre suggests!
* Restricted manufacturing: this watch will not be a numbered restricted version, as there aren’t any markings on the case itself that point out the variety of watches with this particular design produced or the variety of this watch throughout the sequence. The one indication is on the again of the cordovan strap, the place one can see the “Reverso 2012” marking branded into the leather-based. Whereas I might need most popular a proper restricted version, I do like understanding that solely a restricted variety of this particular piece had been produced.
* You may’t see by way of the case again, however when you might your eye could be greeted by Caliber 822, which is formed to the size of the watch. I’m sufficient of a purist that I actually don’t like “type watches” akin to rectangular and tonneau-shaped instances that include spherical actions. Using true “type actions” by Jaeger-LeCoultre, together with the one on this watch, is a big plus for me.
* Having exercised our x-ray imaginative and prescient to visualise the motion that ticks away inside, let’s return to the outside features of this watch, beginning with its skinny profile. The “ultra-thin” designation utilized by Jaeger-LeCoultre to this watch is correct, for my part, and I discover the ensuing proportions of this watch actually pleasing to the attention.
* Because of all of this, the watch wears rather well: on my wrist, and on the wrists of the various house owners who rave about this watch and put up the massive quantity of wristshots of it that seem on-line. For those who’ve by no means had a Reverso in your wrist, or maybe by no means even severely thought-about an oblong watch, I encourage you to strive one of many variants of this “ultra-thin” line; you might be shocked at how nice it appears to be like on you.
* Again to the beginning: it’s all in regards to the individuals! Whereas there are a variety of watches one might put on that elicit curiosity and even admiration, what I’ve discovered is that it is a watch that conjures up friendship. Whether or not in digital on-line communities or in-person fanatic get-togethers, individuals appear to love this watch in a basic method, and that results in extra of the connections and conversations that make watch enthusiasm such a terrific interest.
Is It for you?
I purchased it, however is that this one best for you? You may wish to contemplate it if:
* You’re a collector of Reverso fashions; then once more, I can simply think about this or any of the Tribute watches being a primary Reverso, a primary rectangular watch, or perhaps a first Jaeger-LeCoultre for many individuals.
* Within the case of the U.S. restricted manufacturing sequence, if the thought of proudly owning one thing a bit of completely different and restricted in numbers appeals to you.
* You’re keen on the look and the clear references to the heritage of the Reverso line.
* You’ve at all times been tempted to have the case again of a Reverso engraved and are in search of candidate.
For as soon as, I’m struggling a bit to give you causes to not purchase! Until the complete Reverso idea leaves you chilly, or you could have confirmed for your self that the oblong Reverso case simply doesn’t suit your wrist, the one factor which may provide you with pause could be that fake patina on the U.S. model. If that’s the case, you possibly can at all times choose the usual TTR 1931 or any of the opposite Reverso Tribute watches, after all.
There are many hyper-expensive watches on the market, a lot of them true objects of want. However not all nice watches want to interrupt the financial institution! For me, the Tribute to Reverso 1931 is a type of comfortable examples of a watch that’s accessible to many potential patrons and can also be a splendid piece in its personal proper.
For extra data, please go to www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/CH/en/collections/reverso.
Fast Info Jaeger-LeCoultre Tribute to Reverso 1931
Case: chrome steel; 27.4 x 46.8 mm together with lugs (38 mm not together with lugs), peak 7.3 mm
Motion: handbook winding Caliber 822; 45-hour energy reserve; frequency 21,600 vibrations per hour
Capabilities: hours and minutes
Worth: $8,400 U.S. retail (2015 non-limited model); latest pre-owned resale costs $6,500 to $7,500
* This text was first revealed on January 14, 2015 at Why I Bought It: Jaeger-LeCoultre Tribute To Reverso 1931.