As Winter approaches, town of Vienna transforms right into a magical wonderland full of festive lights and decorations. One of the cherished traditions on this enchanting capital are the Vienna Christmas markets, recognized domestically as “Weihnachtsmärkte.” These markets carry households, associates, and guests collectively to rejoice the spirit of the season in model.
We’ll take you on a journey to discover Vienna’s hottest Christmas markets, highlighting their distinctive choices and engaging histories. From the enduring Rathausplatz Christkindlmarkt to the charming Spittelberg Market tucked away within the previous streets, every market affords pleasant treats and treasures for each style. Get able to immerse your self within the festive ambiance that envelops this lovely metropolis in the course of the vacation season.
Information to the Prime Vienna Christmas Markets
Vienna is without doubt one of the most lovely cities on the planet, and its Christmas markets are among the best in Europe. On this part, we’ll introduce you to a few of our favourite Vienna Christmas Markets, every providing a novel and festive ambiance.
On this article, we’ve centered on the Viennese Christmas markets that we’ve personally visited. All these charming Christmas markets are free to enter.
Tip: We extremely suggest shopping for a Vienna City Card, which may present free public transportation and discounted admission charges to cultural points of interest. Obtain their app and digital metropolis information, iVie earlier than you go.
Often known as the Viennese Dream Christmas Market, Christkindlmarkt is without doubt one of the hottest festive markets. This big Vienna Christmas Market takes place in entrance of the gorgeous Metropolis Corridor at Rathausplatz.
Christkindlmarkt captivates guests with all kinds of stalls and leisure choices. This market is thought for its family-friendly ambiance, with quite a few points of interest designed particularly for youngsters.
There’s a big ferris wheel, and an illuminated strolling path with quite a few nativity scenes. We couldn’t resist the center formed mugs, which you should purchase from a stall close to the well-known Coronary heart Tree.
Guests collect there to share their love and particular moments. This distinctive show is one other splendid side of the market, showcasing the true spirit of the season.
This well-known Viennese Christmas Market is open from 10am-10pm each day. There are bathroom services situated throughout the market and underground on the Ringstrasse.
- Ice-skating: There’s a big ice-skating rink that gives enjoyable for folks of all ages.
- Coronary heart Tree: The Herzerl tree is adorned with an entire host of illuminated crimson hearts.
- Kids’s workshops: Youngsters can learn to make Christmas decorations and sing introduction carols within the kids’s hut.
2. Maria Theresien Christmas Market
With a main location on Maria-Theresien-Platz subsequent to the Kunsthistorische Museum (Artwork Museum) and Naturhistorisches (Pure Historical past Museum), that is one other widespread Viennese Christmas market.
The nineteenth century Maria-Theresa memorial statue is surrounded by elegantly adorned stalls promoting festive ornaments and items.
- Native merchandise: Pattern a spread of gourmand Austrian meals, similar to Wiener schnitzel and apfelstrudel.
- The general public conveniences are situated pretty near the Naturhistorisches – be certain to carry 0,50 euros to make use of them.
- The opening hours are 11am-10pm on Fridays and Saturdays and 11am-9pm from Sunday to Thursday.
3. ART ADVENT Christmas Market
One other unimaginable market is the ART ADVENT, also called Karlsplatz Christmas Market. It’s set amidst the gorgeous backdrop of the baroque-style St. Charles’ Church (Karlskirche).
This market makes a speciality of distinctive, handmade merchandise, making it the right place to discover a particular reward for associates and households. Benefit from the conventional picket fairground rides, good for households and kids.
There are public conveniences conveniently situated out there itself. This sustainable Christmas market is open from 12am-8pm each day.
- Artisanal merchandise: Native artists and craftspeople showcase their work, obtainable for buy to provide your Christmas presents a private contact.
- Foods and drinks: Get pleasure from scrumptious native treats like Glühwein, a heat, spiced wine, and roasted chestnuts.
- Kids’s actions: from writing workshops to candle making and story telling.
4. Belvedere Christmas Market
Located in entrance of the magnificent Belvedere Palace, the Belvedere Christmas Market is without doubt one of the most picturesque areas to expertise Vienna’s festive ambiance. This market on Prinz Eugen-Straße is barely smaller than some others, providing a extra intimate and romantic setting.
Purchase a conventional snow globe from one of many stands – they originated in Vienna! After searching the stalls, head to Café Goldegg on Argentinierstraße. Opened in 1910, this conventional Viennese café is widespread with locals. Attempt the wiener schnitzel or the meat goulash, each are scrumptious.
- Distinctive items: Discover the artisanal stalls for unique and superbly crafted items on your family members.
- Surroundings: The gorgeous palace serves as a unbelievable picture alternative, creating lasting recollections of your go to.
- Opening hours are from 11am-9pm Monday to Friday and 10am-9pm Saturday to Sunday.
5. Schonbrunn Palace
The backdrop to this lovely Viennese Christmas market is Schonbrunn Palace. Though it takes round half-hour to get right here from Vienna metropolis centre, it’s nicely price it.
As you stroll via Parade Court docket, you’ll come throughout a big Christmas tree and a handcrafted nativity scene with over 250 collectible figurines. The tree is adorned with twinkling fairy lights and ornaments, creating an attention-grabbing, shimmering show.
Schonbrunn Palace Christmas Market is open from 10am to 9pm each day till 4 January. There are bathrooms to the precise of the gates as you enter, with a 0,50 euro cost.
- Festive decorations: Discover the artisanal stalls for unique and superbly crafted items on your family members. We picked up a number of papier-mâché tree ornaments right here.
- Surroundings: The gorgeous palace serves as a unbelievable picture alternative, creating lasting recollections of your go to.
- The Court docket Carousel: set it in movement by pedalling!
6. Am Hof Creation Market
With a handy location within the 1st District within the centre of Vienna, Am Hof is widespread with locals at Christmastime. As such, it will possibly get fairly crowded at Am Hof market. We propose going early – the market opens from 10am to 9pm from Friday to Sunday and runs till 23 December.
- Foodie focus: Get pleasure from a tipple on the Champagne Bar or a kartoffelpuffer (potato pancake) at one of many different stands.
- Cute souvenirs: This 12 months, the ceramic mugs at Am Hof Creation Market are a number of the coolest going!
- Round 75 stalls, a few of that are miniature outlets which you can go inside!
7. Previous Viennese Christmas Market
Often known as Freyung or the Altwiener Christkindlmarkt, this conventional Viennese market focuses on craft gadgets and nice meals. It’s situated a couple of minutes stroll from Am Hof Creation Market, so you may simply mix the 2 in a single go to.
This picturesque market can also be fairly packed at sure instances of the day, so go early if you wish to browse with ease. The market is open from 10am to 9pm till 23 December. There are not any public bathrooms at this market – head to those close to Am Hof as a substitute.
- Farmer’s market: a very good number of spice desserts, meats and cheeses.
- Historic environment: flanked by the twelfth century Scottish Church (Schottenkirche).
- Nativity scene: 150 foot lengthy mural painted on the again of the stalls.
8. Spittelberg Christmas Market
For a novel ambiance, head to the Spittelberg district in Vienna at Christmas. Right here, the slim cobbled streets are teeming with stylish outlets and bars.
We extremely suggest reserving a desk at TIAN Bistro for dinner. Positioned at Schrankgasse 4, Tian makes a speciality of sustainable vegetarian and vegan delicacies.
Their plant primarily based cooking is the very best we’ve ever had! Founders Christian Halper and Paul Ivić have created an unimaginable Sharing Chef’s Backyard tasting menu utilizing natural substances and uncommon greens. The philosophy is about utilizing the entire vegetable, from root to leaf.
Get pleasure from a choice of pure wines chosen by André Drechsel and Nico Hammerl, awarded Sommelier Group of the Yr 2023 by Gault& Millau. TIAN even have a Michelin starred vegetarian restaurant within the centre of Vienna – TIAN Wien at Himmelpfortgasse 23.
Spittelberg Christmas Market is open from 2pm to 9pm from Monday to Thursday, 2pm to 9.30pm on Fridays, 10am to 9.30pm on Saturdays and 10am to 9pm on Sundays.
- Eco-friendly market: specializing in fair-trade, domestically produced and natural gadgets.
- Stunning structure: a lot of the buildings are within the Biedermeier model, courting from 1815 to 1848.
- Fascinating souvenirs: LED wax lights, distinctive piggy banks, hand-knitted merino clothes.
Different Viennese Christmas Markets
There are a number of different Christmas markets in Vienna, which we both didn’t get time to go to on this event or visited briefly. These embody:
- College Campus (Altes AKH) – vastly widespread with locals, attributable to its give attention to meals and lined seating. It is a good place to go when it’s actually chilly! Open from 2 pm to 11 pm on Fridays, 11 am to 11 pm on Saturdays and 11 am to eight pm on Sundays.
- Prater (Winter Market Riesenradplatz) – options stay music, a ferris wheel and flying chair journey and is open from 12 midday to 10 pm on Fridays and 11 am to 10 pm from Saturday to Sunday.
- Creation Im Gartenpalais Liechtenstein – a smaller market in a picturesque setting, open from 4 to 9 pm on Fridays and from 11 am to 9 pm on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Hirschstetten Creation Market – situated within the lovely Botanical Gardens within the twenty second District, and open from 10 am to eight pm.
- Michaelerplatz (Ok.U.Ok. Weihnachtsmarkt) – a small market situated on the sting of the Hofburg Palace, open from 10 am to eight pm.
- Stephansplatz Christmas Market – subsequent to St Stephen’s Cathedral, with round 40 stalls and open from 11am to 9pm.
- Creation Delights Market (Mahlerstrasse) – not happening this 12 months attributable to renovation work, however will reopen in 2024.
Vienna Festive Ambiance and Decorations
When visiting the Vienna Christmas markets, you instantly discover the pleasant festive ambiance and gorgeous decorations. The markets are adorned with lovely Christmas lights, illuminating the streets and including an imposing glow to town.
The festive ambiance, distinctive decorations, and charming shows set the Vienna Christmas markets aside, making them a must-visit vacation spot in the course of the vacation season.
Probably the greatest locations to see Christmas lights in Vienna is within the MuseumsQuartier. Spanning 90,000m2, this Viennese cultural hub is lit up superbly for Winter im MQ. Head to Museumsplatz from 4-11pm on Fridays or 2-11pm from Saturday to Sunday to admire the illuminated constructing facades.
You can too guide tickets to Austria’s largest backyard of lights, Illumina. It takes place at Laxenburg Palace Park from 24 November 2023 to 11 February 2024. The park is round 35 minutes from central Vienna and people and not using a automotive should buy shuttle bus tickets.
Culinary Experiences on the Viennese Christmas Markets
When visiting the Vienna Christmas markets, you’ll be delighted by all kinds of scrumptious meals choices. The market stalls are full of conventional Austrian meals which are certain to entice your style buds and supply a memorable culinary expertise.
One of many widespread snacks discovered on the market are potato spirals. These thinly sliced and seasoned potatoes are served on a stick, making for a tasty and handy snack as we flick thru the market.
Moreover, you shouldn’t miss the possibility to savor the candy and fragrant gingerbread cookies. These conventional treats are available in numerous sizes and styles, usually adorned with festive icing and decorations.
In fact, your exploration of the markets’ culinary delights wouldn’t be full with out sipping on some scorching punch. This heat and aromatic beverage, sometimes made with spices and fruits, offers a comforting heat and provides to the festive spirit. Along with scorching punch, many meals stalls provide numerous varieties of mulled wine and scorching chocolate to maintain us cozy throughout our market go to.
Listed below are only a few of the various attractive meals choices you could encounter on the Vienna Christmas markets:
- Schnitzel: A traditional Austrian dish consisting of breaded and fried meat, sometimes served with potato salad or french fries.
- Bratwurst and Sausages: Accessible in numerous flavors together with cheese-filled and spicy varieties, these might be loved as a standalone snack or in a hearty sandwich.
- Kaiserschmarrn: A candy, shredded pancake-like dessert, served heat with powdered sugar and fruit compote.
- Raclette: Melted cheese scraped over boiled potatoes, accompanied by pickles and onions, affords a gooey and satisfying deal with.
As you discover the various meals stalls on the Vienna Christmas markets, you’re certain to come back throughout quite a few different culinary surprises and temptations that may make your go to a very unforgettable expertise.
Actions and Leisure
Stay Music Experiences
Throughout your go to to Vienna Christmas markets, one of the charming experiences was having fun with the stay music. You’ll be able to guide to attend Christmas concert events, which can put you within the vacation spirit. As well as, many proficient musicians and choirs carry out at numerous venues throughout the markets, making a festive ambiance with their melodic tunes.
On the Vienna Christmas markets, there are many outside actions for all ages. For instance, the Rathausplatz ice rink and curling within the MuseumsQuartier are to not be missed. There are various enjoyable fairground rides on the Prater Christmas market.
Throughout the Christmas season, Vienna’s historic websites and cultural venues present the right backdrop for having fun with the vacation spirit. Whereas exploring town’s distinctive markets, don’t overlook to immerse your self in these outstanding landmarks and treasures.
We suggest visiting the Kunsthistorisches Museum (Museum of Artwork Historical past) and the Museum of Pure Historical past. These two premier museums, located reverse one another at Maria-Theresien-Platz, are house to an enormous assortment of artworks, artifacts, and pure wonders.
The place to Keep in Vienna
No go to to Vienna can be full and not using a keep on the historic Hotel Bristol, situated at Kaerntner Ring 1. This world-class resort, situated straight reverse the Vienna State Opera, affords unique lodging, mixing the class of bygone years with state-of-the-art facilities.
The Resort Bristol has many unique Artwork Deco options, in addition to a sublime Lounge and Bar, and has been going sturdy since 1892. A part of The Luxurious Assortment by Marriott Bonvoy, it’s a stone’s throw from right here to town centre.
We stayed within the Chinoiserie Opera Suite, which is extraordinarily spacious and boasts fabulous views of the Opera Home. There are two lovely marble loos and an oval salon adorned with treasured vintage chinoiserie. We loved a scrumptious breakfast on the resort, with omelettes and poached eggs cooked to order.
Journey and Transport Data
We flew to Vienna with Austrian Airways, however there are lots of airways flying into Vienna Worldwide Airport. We then took the CAT (Metropolis Airport Prepare) which takes simply 16 minutes into Wien Mitte. The ticket worth was included in our Vienna Metropolis Card.
As you discover Vienna’s Christmas markets, it’s important to know how one can navigate town and get round effectively. Fortunately, Vienna’s public transport system is well-designed and simple to make use of, making it easy to go to most of the magical markets throughout your keep.
For many metropolis heart Christmas markets, a brief stroll is normally all it takes to immerse your self within the festive ambiance. Vienna’s metropolis heart is pedestrian-friendly and ideal for a leisurely stroll with a heat beverage in hand.
The public transport system in Vienna consists of buses, trams, and metro (U-Bahn) traces, and it is a superb choice for reaching Christmas markets not situated within the metropolis heart. Due to Vienna’s intensive transport community, you may simply entry all markets, even these positioned on the outskirts of town.
Here’s a fast overview of the transport strategies obtainable:
- Metro (U-Bahn): Essentially the most handy and quickest option to journey throughout the metropolis. It operates from 5:00 am to 12:30 am on weekdays and 24 hours on weekends. Tickets might be bought on the station or on the Wiener Linien app.
- Trams: A dependable and comfy option to journey round Vienna. With over 30 traces, trams can carry us near quite a few Christmas markets all through town. Trams sometimes run between 5:00 am and midnight, with some traces providing night time service.
- Buses: Buses complement the tram and metro programs, connecting much less central areas. Most buses run between 5:00 am and midnight, however there are additionally night time buses obtainable.
When utilizing public transport, take into account these ticket choices:
- Single ticket: €2.40
- 24-hour ticket: €8.00
- 48-hour ticket: €14.10
- 72-hour ticket: €17.10
- Weekly cross: €17.10 (legitimate from Monday to the next Monday at 9:00 am)
In abstract, navigating Vienna in the course of the Christmas market season is a breeze, because of town’s environment friendly public transport system and pedestrian-friendly metropolis heart. Keep in mind to decorate warmly and benefit from the lovely scenes Vienna has to supply in the course of the vacation season.
Ultimate Ideas on the Vienna Christmas Markets
The Vienna Christmas markets rework town right into a Winter wonderland, full with ice-skating rinks, snow-covered pathways, and warming treats to take pleasure in. With each step you are taking, the Christmas spirit comes alive and affords an unforgettable expertise.
Total, the vary of actions and leisure alternatives on the Vienna Christmas markets made our go to an unforgettable expertise. By exploring these Vienna Christmas markets, you may immerse your self within the festive ambiance that makes town much more magical in the course of the vacation season.
Get extra Vienna recommendations on the official website.
Like this Vienna Christmas markets information? Pin for later or share with associates.