Portugal could also be a small nation, however it’s filled with scenic magnificence, vibrant tradition, and historic marvels. From the rolling vineyards in Douro Valley to the dramatic cliffs of Algarve, every nook affords distinctive and awe-inspiring landscapes.
We’ve spent weeks driving around Portugal and have had the pleasure of street tripping from the highest all the way down to the underside. Irrespective of the place we stopped, we discovered the folks pleasant, the desserts scrumptious and the port wine flowing freely.
Finest Highway Journeys in Portugal
From scenic coastal drives to inland journeys, we’ve seen loads firsthand, however know there’s all the time extra to discover. Whether or not touring as a pair, a household, with a gaggle of buddies or by yourself, we’ve seen there’s one thing in Portugal for everybody.
Lisbon to Porto: Coastal Bliss
Excited to see what street journeys Portugal has to supply? Right here’s your information to one of the best street journeys in Portugal for a journey you’ll always remember.
This classical Portugal street journey route affords an ideal mix of metropolis, sea, and historical past. Ranging from the colourful capital Lisbon, you’ll cruise north alongside the coast, exploring beautiful seashores, medieval cities, and bustling cities earlier than reaching Porto, well-known for its port wine and historic appeal.
Lisbon – Cascais – Sintra – Nazaré – Coimbra – Aveiro – Porto
433km – Approx. 5.5hrs journey time – Google Maps
Highway Journey Length:
- Lisbon: Capital metropolis of Portugal with attractive structure just like the Jerónimos Monastery, cool street tiles, loads of unusual things to do in addition to the house of our favourite Portuguese dessert, the scrumptious Pasteis de Belem.
- Cascais: The Boca do Inferno, a dramatic cliffside chasm is value stopping for.
- Sintra: Discover each the colourful Pena Palace in addition to the gorgeous Quinta da Regaleira palace (plus each their superb gardens).
- Nazaré: Stand in awe of Nazarés enormous waves, go to Our Woman of Nazaré Sanctuary plus take a look at the Miradouro do Suberco, a viewpoint providing superior panoramic ocean views.
- Coimbra: House of the Joanina Library, one of the lovely libraries on this planet in addition to the favored College of Coimbra.
- Aveiro: Canals adorned with brightly coloured boats referred to as moliceiros line this Portuguese metropolis, typically referred to as the Venice of Portugal.
- Porto: Pattern completely different ports, go on a Douro river cruise and take a look at Livraria Lello, one of many world’s most lovely bookstores.
Whereas Nazaré is widespread for day journeys, take into account spending an evening right here. At night time, as soon as the day vacationers depart, you’ll get the prospect to expertise the quiet appeal of this fishing village, which is each wealthy in custom and native taste.
Douro Valley: The Wine Circuit
For port and wine lovers, this route is paradise. Starting in Porto, you’ll journey into the center of Portugal’s wine nation, following the Douro River by scenic cities and valleys, and stopping for winery excursions and tastings alongside the best way.
Porto – Amarante – Peso da Régua – Pinhão – Vila Actual
188km – Approx. 3hrs journey time – Google Maps
- Porto: The enduring Ribeira District alongside the Douro River and the Porto Cathedral, a 900 yr previous constructing with superb tile artwork.
- Amarante: Ponte de São Gonçalo, an arched bridge with tons of historic significance.
- Peso da Régua: Douro Museum, exploring the historical past and tradition of the Douro area.
- Pinhão: The practice station adorned with blue-and-white Azulejo tiles.
- Vila Actual: The 18th-century Mateus Palace and its attractive gardens.
- Peso da Régua: Douro River Cruise and Museu do Douro.
- Pinhão: Wine estates and Azulejos-decorated practice station.
- Vila Actual: Mateus Palace.
Undecided the place to begin? Book your all-inclusive trip to Portugal with Voyage Privé.
The Douro Valley is the birthplace of port wine, and no go to could be full with out diving into this native specialty. Many vineyards supply tastings and excursions the place you’ll be able to be taught in regards to the winemaking course of from grape to bottle. However it’s not nearly port; the area additionally produces distinctive purple and white wines. Be sure to take a guided tour of at the very least one wine property to totally admire the area’s wealthy viticultural historical past.
The Algarve: Solar-Kissed Splendor
This southern loop affords the quintessential Algarve expertise: golden seashores to lounge away the new summer season days, rocky coves to discover and bustling cities stuffed with nightlife. The route takes you from the historic metropolis of Faro to the westernmost level of the Algarve, offering a well-rounded tour of this sun-soaked area.
Tavira – Faro – Albufeira – Lagos – Sagres
168km – Approx. 3hrs journey time – Google Maps
- Tavira: The Roman Bridge, a picturesque seven-arched bridge.
- Faro: Arco da Vila, an arched gateway courting again to Moorish occasions.
- Albufeira: Nightlife hub of the Algarve. Additionally take a look at Outdated City, a vibrant space stuffed with retailers, eating places, and bars.
- Lagos: Ponta da Piedade, recognized for its beautiful rock formations and Praia Dona Ana.
- Sagres: Fortaleza de Sagres, a cliff-top fortress with panoramic sea views and Cape St. Vincent. Additionally highly regarded with kite surfers.
Tavira affords a much less crowded, extra genuine Algarve expertise. It’s comparatively untouched by large-scale tourism, making it a super spot for a quieter seashore escape and to discover conventional Portuguese tradition. If you wish to be the place the motion is, Albufeira is the place you need to be.
Madeira: The Backyard Isle
Portugal’s southern island of Madeira supplies a definite street journey expertise filled with pure magnificence and old-world appeal. Beginning in Funchal, this island route affords lush gardens, volcanic swimming pools, and coastal views which can be second to none.
Funchal – Câmara de Lobos – Ribeira Brava – Porto Moniz – Santana
117km – Approx. 2.5hrs journey time – Google Maps
- Funchal: Monte Palace Tropical Backyard providing views over Funchal Bay, take a loopy Toboggan journey in a standard wicker basket down the town roads and go to the beautiful Mercado dos Lavradores.
- Câmara de Lobos: Picturesque fishing village immortalized by Winston Churchill’s work.
- Ribeira Brava: Forte de São Bento, a historic fort with scenic sea views.
- Porto Moniz: Pure lava swimming pools good for a singular swimming expertise and the Madeira Aquarium.
- Santana: Thatched-roof A-frame homes showcasing conventional Madeiran structure Queimadas Forest Park.
The Laurisilva Forest is a must-see in Madeira. This UNESCO World Heritage website covers about 20% of the island. A stroll right here reveals a uncommon glimpse of Europe’s prehistoric landscapes. The wildlife are distinctive, and the sense of tranquility is unparalleled.
Azores: Volcanic Journey
Portugal’s Azores islands are an off-the-beaten-path treasure in the course of the Atlantic. Beginning in Ponta Delgada, this route affords a journey by volcanic landscapes, cliffside viewpoints, and plush greenery that encapsulates the untamed magnificence of those islands.
Ponta Delgada – Sete Cidades – Furnas – Nordeste
126km – Approx. 2.5hrs journey time – Google Maps
- Ponta Delgada: Forte de São Brás, a Sixteenth-century fortress plus take a look at Twin lakes and Vista do Rei.
- Sete Cidades: Go to Lagoa do Fogo, a surprising crater lake.
- Furnas: Terra Nostra Backyard, a stupendous botanical backyard with thermal swimming pools.
- Nordeste: Miradouro da Ponta do Sossego, providing panoramic views of cliffs and ocean.
The Azores are one of many world’s greatest spots for whale watching. Whereas most guests come between April and October, every season affords a unique array of species. Ebook a tour with a good operator to boost your possibilities of sightings and to make sure moral practices.
Journey Ideas for Any Route:
- Toll Roads: Portugal has many toll roads. A By way of Verde (Inexperienced Lane) digital system will be rented to robotically pay some tolls whereas others require a toll move, each will prevent time and fuss.
- Fuel Stations: Gas up in bigger cities as rural areas might have restricted providers. Fuel stations additionally typically shut early in distant areas.
- Native Legal guidelines: All the time have your ID and driving license with you. Portuguese visitors police are recognized for random checks, and fines for not having correct identification or a correct toll move will be steep.
The Finest Highway Journeys in Portugal
With every street journey providing its personal distinctive set of points of interest and nuances, Portugal guarantees an journey that caters to every kind of vacationers. We liked our time right here and the complete household all the time loved leaping into the automobile realizing that the subsequent cease was going to be simply as superb because the final. Protected travels!