As we method the vacation season stuffed with turkeys, crown roasts with little paper socks, fruitcakes, and cookies, we additionally method the time of the 12 months after we spend probably the most time within the kitchen and should begin to encounter S.O.S. (Surplus Old Stuff): Kitchenware. This S.O.S. class is so expansive that I’m breaking it into subcategories, beginning with S.O.S. (Surplus Outdated Stuff): Kitchen Glassware.
From Early American Sample Glass to Simon Pearce
I’ve but to fulfill a kitchen that doesn’t want some trimming of extra small home equipment, tools, metalware, plasticware, and, in fact, glassware. What glassware do we discover in a kitchen? Included is every thing from clear glass gadgets like consuming glasses to the opaque selection, reminiscent of Pyrex and Jadeite. I’m not together with crystal since I’ve coated that in S.O.S. (Surplus Old Stuff): Crystal. Natch, a few of these glass classes are tremendous collectible, so let’s cowl these first.
As a rule of thumb, among the extra beneficial previous glass in your kitchen are possible the extra attention-grabbing and colourful items. When you’ve got a cupboard stuffed with clear consuming glasses in each dimension below the moon, chances are high these have little worth until they had been made by a recent specialist in clear glassware like Simon Pearce.
As for coloured clear glass, in case you’re uncertain how previous it’s, it’s best to double-check that it isn’t one of many sought-after classes of glassware like EAPG (Early American Pattern Glass) or Depression glass. How will you inform? Most EAPG glass will feel and look previous; it was manufactured in such a approach that edges got here out extra tough than sharp, and visually, it typically has a wavy or dense look. Reality be advised, it’s unlikely you could have EAPG in your kitchen, though you may discover some in your china cupboard. As for Depression glass, this glassware seems a bit extra completed and clear than EAPG, and it is usually identified for its trademark colours of pink, inexperienced, and so on.
Jolly Inexperienced Glassware
Talking of inexperienced glass, each inexperienced and cobalt blue glass are constantly fascinating within the secondary market. Collectors and interior decorators take pleasure in these cool glass hues if solely to show on a windowsill to catch the sunshine appealingly. Some inexperienced glass could also be Vaseline glass made with radioactive uranium—maintain a blacklight to those wares to see in the event that they glow their telltale fluorescent inexperienced hues. There was a renewed curiosity in Vaseline glass with youthful collectors over the previous few years; it’s so well-liked you can even purchase baggage of broken Vaseline glass shards on-line. One other traditional inexperienced glass, Jadeite, by no means goes out of favor. Simply be aware of each classic Jadeite and up to date variations which can be nonetheless being made at present by manufacturers reminiscent of TableCraft.
Whereas classic Pyrex glass just isn’t fairly as well-liked at present because it was 5 or ten years in the past, it’s nonetheless fascinating and sometimes value holding onto. When you’ve got bowls in a much less well-liked sample like Old Orchard, preserve utilizing them, as they’re useful for baking and mixing. Simply watch out to hand-wash classic Pyrex, because the outer patterns and colours are identified for fading within the dishwasher. For those who’re uncertain of your Pyrex sample, do a fast on-line search to make sure you don’t have among the scarcer patterns like Lucky in Love or Pink Stems, which it’s best to show (and never use) or resell.
Clearly Little Worth
As for clear glass, whereas most of it has little worth, you could as nicely flip it over to examine for a mark on the underside. The commonest marks you’ll see are a capital “F” in a defend for Federal Glass, an anchor image for Anchor Hocking, and the embossed model FireKing. Certainly one of my favourite clear glass manufacturers is Duralex from France, which you’ll be able to procure each classic and new in shops at present. Duralex glass lasts ceaselessly with out chipping. General, a few of these clear glass manufacturers are value greater than others, however typically, none will break the financial institution. If it’s good to pare down your plenty of glasses, learn on for assist.
10 Steps for S.O.S. (Surplus Outdated Stuff): Kitchen Glassware
- Empty out all of your glassware, à la Marie Kondo, placing every thing collectively on a giant counter or a desk.
- Test for chips and cracks, and get rid of these things. Not solely do they not have any worth, however they’re additionally harmful.
- Collect all of the clear glass into one space. Test for marks reminiscent of Anchor Hocking and Duralex; these could also be value promoting or saving.
- Collect all of your coloured and opaque glass into one other space. Double-check cupboards below the sink and within the mudroom in case an previous glass bowl ended up there as a sponge holder or flower pot.
- Match up your glassware. Nest your Pyrex bowls, put lids on the proper casseroles, and so on. Put all of your juice glasses collectively and all of your pint glasses collectively.
- When you’ve got additional gadgets, like lids with no matches, donate them.
- When you’ve got too many of 1 merchandise, type some out to donate. Except you’re a Swanky Swig collector, do you really want twelve juice glasses?
- Watch out with the coloured and opaque glass, even in case you have mismatched units. Uncommon Pyrex is infamous for fetching thousands on the secondary market.
- As for the clear glass, little of this has any worth. Pare down as wanted.
- Donate or promote all of the glass you’ve culled, and pop the remaining again into your cupboards and cabinets. Chances are high you’ve cleared off a shelf or two and now have a clear slate to fill with all of the glassware items you’ll obtain over the vacations!
Amy Moyer is the proprietor of Antmuffin: Art, Antiques & Collectibles. She holds a B.A. in Visible Artwork from Brown College and lives in Boston.
WorthPoint—Uncover. Worth. Protect.