Many people maintain fond recollections of visiting our grandparents’ home throughout household get-togethers or holidays. Throughout these visits, a few of us watched our grandmothers within the kitchen, making her well-known dinner and dessert recipes utilizing previous kitchen devices she couldn’t dwell with out. So, what do you do with these previous devices if you happen to not too long ago inherited them?
Many kitchen instruments helpful within the early to mid-1900s now not serve a function at the moment. Since your grandma’s kitchen devices maintain sentimental worth, you don’t need to half with them, however you don’t need to retailer them away to collect mud both. So, why not repurpose them into sensible gadgets? Hopefully, the next repurposing concepts will enable you to upcycle your grandma’s previous kitchen instruments into gadgets you’ll truly use.
At this time, handbook cheese graters are nonetheless used to shred cheese and different meals, however most individuals, like myself, want the comfort of utilizing a meals processor or shopping for prepackaged shredded cheese. Through the Nice Despair, cheese graters gained recognition in the USA through the use of up a block of cheese so nothing was wasted throughout troublesome financial instances. Consequently, some fashionable recipes throughout that period included using a cheese grater. Many grandmothers used cheese graters to shred cheese for soups, casseroles, and pasta. They have been additionally generally used for shredding greens like carrots, potatoes, and zucchini.
Listed here are some methods to repurpose your grandma’s metallic cheese graters:
- To create a particular towel holder, screw an inverted field grater into the aspect of a kitchen cupboard. Hold a kitchen towel from the deal with and fill the within of the grater with a group of previous wood spoons.
- Use a field grater as a magnetic memo board to show your grandma’s photograph.
- To generate ambient lantern lighting, organize a grouping of cylinder graters on a tray and place flameless candles beneath them.
Potato mashers can be utilized at the moment to mash potatoes, however most individuals want to make use of a hand mixer to make mild work of the duty. The potato mashers used in the course of the early to mid-1900s included wood or metallic handles with large-gauge wire mashing heads. Some frequent head designs included a rounded zig-zag sample or S-design, square-shaped with a grid sample, and oval-plated with slits. The wooden handles have been usually painted black or white in the course of the Nineteen Twenties. Brighter colours like pink, inexperienced, blue, and yellow turned frequent in the course of the Nineteen Thirties, ’40s, and ’50s. Some painted wood handles additionally featured stripes in contrasting colours.
Listed here are some methods to repurpose your grandma’s potato mashers:
- Use two S-design mashers as bookends to cradle your cookbooks vertically on finish. Slide one wire head beneath one finish of the cookbook and the opposite wire head beneath the opposite finish of the cookbook to stop the stack from collapsing.
- To create a dangling vase, relaxation a glass child jar atop the masher’s wire head and safe it to the masher utilizing a chunk of wire looped across the jar’s shoulder. Fill the jar with fake or dried florals and hold the masher on a peg rack utilizing a loop of twine.
- Connect a miniature Christmas wreath to the bottom of a pink or green-handled masher utilizing a twist tie to make a singular Christmas ornament. Then, wrap a festive ribbon across the twist tie and show the masher in your kitchen counter in the course of the vacation season.
Though most of us use wood spoons for cooking and baking, these spoons don’t bear the marks of our grandmothers’ arms and the time-worn years of use. Each nick, crack, meals stain, and burn mark on her spoons tells a narrative of its previous life. Most grandmothers used their wooden spoons for a number of functions, like canning, stirring a pot of soup, tossing pasta, mixing baking substances, and scooping mashed potatoes.
Listed here are some methods to repurpose your grandma’s wood spoons:
- To create a cool valance, fasten screw eyes to the deal with ends of a grouping of wood spoons. String ribbon or twine by way of the screw eyes and tie the spoons to a curtain rod. Hold the curtain rod above a kitchen window.
- To make a singular wind chime, fasten screw eyes to the deal with ends of some wood spoons and safe cut up rings to the screws. Connect the cut up rings to varied chain lengths and hold them in your entrance porch with the spoons positioned shut sufficient so they may knock collectively when blowing within the wind.
- To create a wood spoon star, collect 5 spoons which are comparable in size. Lay them flat and type them right into a star sample. Then, join them utilizing a dab of sizzling glue the place they overlap. Safe the overlapped sections with twine and connect a loop of twine at one of many factors for hanging the star. Run a small American stick flag by way of the wood spoon star and hold the star in your entrance door to have fun Independence Day.
HONOR PAST GENERATIONS
Now, if you happen to inherit a few of your grandma’s previous kitchen devices or come across a field of classic kitchen instruments at an property or rummage sale, you’ll have artistic methods to repurpose them. Reusing them on this manner will honor previous generations and supply distinctive décor on your residence.
Karen Weiss is a contract author and enjoys adorning her residence with classic finds from her many collections. She additionally has an Etsy store known as SimplePatinaFinds.
WorthPoint—Uncover. Worth. Protect.