Since shopping for our Florida home in 2017, I get fairly just a few DMs and emails asking about issues to do in Sarasota. This query appears to be additional in style this time of 12 months when everyone seems to be flocking to hotter climate. One of many the reason why we love residing right here is that there’s all the time one thing to do. This metropolis is stuffed with enjoyable actions (lots of that are free!), scrumptious locations to eat, and new areas to discover.
As we speak I’m going to focus on a few of my favourite actions and eating places in Sarasota. And since I do know guests oftentimes wish to enterprise into the encircling areas, I’m additionally going to share some native favorites that span from Siesta Key as much as Anna Maria Island. By the top, you’ll be able to pack your bags, throw on a snug airport outfit, and plan a visit!
Favourite Issues to Do in Sarasota
There are a ton of various methods to spend a day, or perhaps a week, in Sarasota. Your perfect itinerary will depend on your cause for visiting the town and with whom you’re touring. Do you wish to spend time enjoyable on the seashore? Perhaps you’re hoping to do some procuring and eating together with your vital different? Or perhaps you’re touring with youngsters and on the lookout for enjoyable issues to do in Sarasota as a household? I’m going to the touch on a bit of little bit of every part, as we’ve loved doing it everywhere in the previous few years!
One of the in style causes to go to or stay in Sarasota is for the breathtaking seashores. Personally, my favourite native seashore is Siesta Key. Not solely is the sand and water stunning however the location and facilities at this seashore are nice as properly. The town paid for a large renovation of Siesta Key in 2016 and the end result was a giant improve! The facilities close by are nice together with the general public bogs, meals choices, and areas of shade. Whereas this seashore is essentially the most accessible in relation to parking, I’ll warn you that almost all spots are snagged by 10 AM through the busy season. So you should definitely plan accordingly!
If trying out seashores is on the high of your issues to do in Sarasota listing, then you may additionally wish to make your option to Longboat Key or Anna Maria Island. LBK has some stunning public seashore entry factors. The draw back is that the parking is extraordinarily restricted and there aren’t many facilities obtainable. The massive public seashore on AMI, Coquina Beach, does have parking, bogs, and altering areas. Nonetheless, I nonetheless favor Siesta Key!
Native Issues to Do in Sarasota
One thing we’ve loved whereas residing right here is experiencing the distinctive native occasions. There’s all the time one thing occurring! The town hosts First Friday events, for which the streets downtown are closed and there are a ton of meals choices, procuring, and free leisure.
Considered one of my favourite issues to do in Sarasota is to discover the Farmers Market on Saturdays. This market isn’t simply restricted to provide. As an alternative, it truly highlights lots of the native outlets and artisans within the space.
And in relation to occasions to plan round, I all the time examine the schedule on the Van Wezell, which is our native performing arts corridor. Sarasota will get nice musical acts to carry out right here and you’ll usually get actually cheap costs! You’ll be able to see the present schedule here.
Child-Pleasant Issues to Do in Sarasota
In case you are on the lookout for kid-friendly issues to do in Sarasota, I might advocate Selby Garden and Mote Aquarium. Sarasota has had fairly a growth over the previous 5 years. Due to this fact, the town is working to improve a variety of the favored sights, together with each of those.
Selby Backyard is a good way to see a lot of the gorgeous nature Florida has to supply. Plus, it offers some beautiful water views! They always have actions geared towards each kids and adults – You’ll be able to try their full schedule here. Selby Backyard is at present open, however it’s going by means of a large renovation that’s set to complete in early 2024.
Mote Aquarium is a very candy aquarium that appears like “old fashioned” Florida. They too are getting a MAJOR improve, set to be accomplished on the finish of 2024. For now, you possibly can go to the placement they’ve been at for many years on Longboat Key. They’ve sea turtles, manatees, rays and a lot extra!
The Sarasota Art Museum, which simply opened in 2019, is a superb spot to go to. They’re always bringing in new artistic endeavors that really feel recent and related. At 15,000 sq ft, the museum feels substantial, however not overwhelming. I additionally love the candy bistro that they’ve on-site. It’s an important place to sit down and seize a espresso. Along with displaying unimaginable artwork, the museum hosts a very enjoyable outdoor jazz performance as soon as a month. Throughout this occasion, you possibly can loosen up and benefit from the music whereas additionally grabbing a glass of wine and even dinner!
The Ringling Museum will little question pop up when you find yourself on the lookout for issues to do in Sarasota. I discover the grounds of the Ringling Museum to be gorgeous, however the precise displays to be underwhelming. Moreover, the Ringling Museum is often crowded, particularly through the busy season. So be ready to circle for parking and to come across some traces whereas visiting.
Buying in Sarasota
Whereas I wouldn’t say Sarasota is a shopping-centric city, we do have some true gems. Canned Ham Vintage is an unimaginable classic store that you just shouldn’t miss. I’ve purchased so lots of my favourite objects there (the earrings are all the time top-notch) and they’re always getting new stock! Camilyn Beth is an area designer who’s as gifted as she is variety. Her retailer is positioned proper on Palm Avenue, together with her design studio proper above! The Met Fashion House in St. Armands Circle has an important number of a few of my favourite manufacturers comparable to Veronica Beard, Self-Portrait, and See by Chloe!
Talking of St. Armands Circle, spending a day procuring, eating, and exploring this space is a favourite factor to do in Sarasota for a lot of guests. It’s an important space should you’re trying to simply get out, seize a chew to eat, and do a little bit of procuring. My favourite eating places in St. Armands are Shore, Colombia (a traditional that has been round for greater than 100 years), and Crab and Fin. Equally, should you’re procuring downtown, there are numerous nice locations to seize meals or cocktails as properly. I really like Owen’s Fish Camp for dinner (they’ve an important area out again for youths to run round with stay music), State Street for cocktails, Selva for dinner (don’t miss the home chopped salad), and the Fountain for an informal pizza date.
Favourite Eating places in Sarasota
Okay, now that I’m desirous about it, eating in Sarasota wants its personal part – There are simply so many nice choices! It’s exhausting to nail down my favorites, however here’s a listing of some of my favorites. I say this as a result of I do know I’m going to by chance depart somebody I really like off the listing!
Seafood Eating places
- Walt’s: This restaurant is third generation-owned they usually catch fish every day. I really like the Oscar off the Hook and the fish dip! Wait occasions could be lengthy, as this can be a massively in style spot for locals and guests alike.
- Veronica’s: Set in Southside Village, Veronicas is a darkish, cozy uncooked bar. They’ve an superior skirt steak, the perfect Caesar salad, and superior oysters (clearly!) I really like eating on the bar, which is first come first serve, however they do take reservations for the eating room.
- Owen’s Fish Camp: A captivating seafood restaurant set in an previous cottage – That is such a darling place to dine. There’s a big yard with a separate bar they usually usually have stay music. The Low Nation Broil is superb, and if they’ve Scamp because the native catch get it (belief me)!! Owen’s will get insanely crowded, so that you’ll wish to arrive early and be ready to attend, as they don’t take reservations.
- Spearfish: Situated on Siesta Key, this little informal spot has quick, recent, simple, and really tasty dishes. The grouper bites and the coconut shrimp are my private favorites on the menu.
- Whitney’s: Considered one of my absolute favourite issues to do in Sarasota is dine at Whitney’s. This informal spot is ready in an previous gasoline station, and on most days all of the home windows and doorways are open. The queso is superior and I additionally love the LBK Bowl. This menu is nice for sharing they usually have stay music each Friday!
- Jack Dusty’s – If you would like a pleasant, enjoyable brunch with a view, I might try Jack Dusty’s within the Ritz. I really like sitting exterior and catching up with girlfriends on a reasonably Sarasota day!
American Eating places
- Indigenous: Situated downtown in an lovely cottage, this restaurant is regionally sourced with an ever-changing menu. Every thing I’ve had right here is mouth-watering, even the best dishes. That is the right spot for a pleasant date evening or to rejoice a special day. The chef is now additionally opening up a food truck at Calusa Brewery, which I plan on visiting quickly!
- Meloria: DC transplants opened this area final 12 months and it has turn into an area favourite. Sarasota has a variety of great seafood spots and, surprisingly, a variety of Italian eating places. So, this high-end American menu stuffed an empty area of interest! The coconut panna cotta on the dessert menu is unimaginable, and I’m not even a dessert particular person. Right here’s a bit of insider tip…In case you sit on the bar, you possibly can order the “off-menu burger”, which is to die for!
- Shore: There are two Shore places, one in St. Armands and one on LBK. I really like each, however should you can swing it, snag a desk on the Shore LBK with a water view. I get one thing totally different each time I dine right here and I’ve by no means been dissatisfied.
Different Kinds of Delicacies
- Florence and the Spice Boys: This tremendous in style meals truck opened their first everlasting location this 12 months and the area is as superb because the meals. They fully reworked the restaurant that they took over and added so many private touches. The menu is all the time fascinating! A few of my favorites embody the turmeric fried rooster sandwich and the fried brussel sprouts.
- Origins Pizza: Origins is my go-to when ordering pizza. They’ve a number of places now, which makes eating in tremendous simple. The newly opened spot at The Landings is nice. I all the time order my pie skinny and additional crispy!
- Columbia: The oldest restaurant in Florida, Columbia is a full-on attraction. Dinner could be a little bit of a zoo, since that is on so many guests’ “should eat” listing. Because of this, I usually love to do a late lunch right here and I get the 1905 salad with the unique Cuban.
- Artisan Cheese Company: Whereas that is largely a cheese store (and a rattling nice one!) you may also pop in for lunch or to order a cheese board and glass of wine to remain. The lunch menu is often small, however mighty, and the area has a really cool industrial, but welcoming, really feel. The store additionally has nice sourdough, natural wines, spreads imported from everywhere in the world, and the perfect cheese choice in Sarasota.
- State Street: In case you love a cocktail, that is your home. Situated within the coronary heart of downtown, this darkish, romantic bar is inside strolling distance to so many eating places. I really like grabbing a martini right here earlier than heading off to Selva, Owens, or one of many different nice spots on Primary Avenue.
Phew, so long as this listing of issues to do in Sarasota appears to be, I really feel like I’ve solely scratched the floor! I shared just a few further Sarasota favorites in this post as properly. And should you occur to be touring right here (or wherever!) this winter, it’s possible you’ll wish to try my travel must-haves, airport outfit ideas, and my favourite travel beauty products.