Past the terrace and ha-ha, three riders trot throughout parched parkland in hazy daylight, previous a dramatic lifeless tree in entrance of a powerful, seven-bay, late 18th century stone home. A scene from Far From the Madding Crowd, maybe? No; but a few of the pivotal scenes of the evocative film, starring Carey Mulligan as Bathsheba Everdene, was shot right here.
The Verney household’s high-quality property, Claydon Home, doubles as Hardy’s William Boldwood’s mansion. Claydon doesn’t want a Hollywood movie to present it glamour although, for its personal story is equally dramatic, that includes pirates, skulduggery – and Florence Nightingale.
In 1463, lengthy earlier than the home existed in its present type, the manor of Center Claydon was purchased by Sir Ralph Verney. Right here his tenant Roger Giffard constructed an H-plan brick mansion by which the Giffards lived till 1620, when Sir Edmund Verney redeemed the lease for £4,000 – after his half-brother Francis offered off the Verney household’s precise dwelling and have become a Barbary pirate. Edmund, standard-bearer to Charles I, famously had his hand – nonetheless nobly clasping the Royal Commonplace – hacked off in 1642 on the battle of Edgehill. It was the one a part of him ever retrieved.
However it was his nice, nice grandson Ralph (by now the 2nd Earl Verney) who constructed the Claydon that one visits as we speak. In 1740 Ralph married heiress Mary Herring, and improved and prolonged the property. From 1754-68 he constructed first the steady blocks and the red-brick east wing (the place the Verney household now lives) after which the stone home.
But what one sees as we speak – a two-storey home with three imposing, 25ft-high double-cube rooms beneath and three massive bedchambers and different rooms above – whereas spectacular, is simply a part of the story. Ralph wished to construct a luxurious residence to rival close by Stowe. As constructing started, he determined to create an extravagant mirror wing to include an enormous ballroom, linked to the principle home by a domed rotunda topped by a gilded pineapple.
The builder the Earl selected was the supremely gifted Southwark-based woodcarver, Luke Lightfoot, who had been engaged on Ralph’s London dwelling. Sadly, Lightfoot satisfied him that he may do the entire job – to the disgust of the Earl’s architect, Sir Thomas Robinson, who known as Lightfoot (maybe out of jealousy over his carving expertise) ‘an ignorant knave with no small spice of insanity’. Robinson was partly proper, for Lightfoot was not solely light-handed, fiddling the constructing accounts, but in addition gentle on building expertise.
Extra like this
In brief, although many of the tripartite home did get constructed, lots of the further components quickly started to fail structurally and would sadly be demolished by Ralph Verney’s eventual inheritor, Mary, Baroness Fermanagh. Even sadder maybe, just one occasion was ever thrown by the 2nd Earl in what ought to have been the final word occasion home.
However Lightfoot’s present interiors are, however, elegant, dazzling, and fairly sudden. In the present day one enters by a facet door into what was the Nice Consuming Room (now the North Corridor), the primary of an enfiladed run of enormous, excessive entertaining areas. Every is effusively embellished with what seems to be florid rococo plasterwork, however within the majority of instances is pine, carved in Southwark then put in on website.
Within the Consuming Room, herons and legendary ho-ho birds nearly fly off the partitions, and the ceiling bears an armoury of weapons. Within the subsequent room, the blue-brocaded saloon, extra restrained thrives are set off by the deep coffered plasterwork ceiling, sculpted by Joseph Rose the Youthful. That is the place the ball by which William proposes to Bathsheba takes place within the movie. Right here too is the portrait of Ralph the Commonplace Bearer (no portray of the 2nd Earl survives).
The third room is the library, the place William opens the valentine’s card from Bathsheba. It’s effectively stocked with over 4,000 lovely cased books, and the gathering was created and added to by Parthenope Verney in 1860, whose likeness hangs over the marble fire. Her youthful sister Florence Nightingale stayed a number of months annually, following her return from the Crimea.
You may also like Inside the real life Downton Abbey: take a tour of Highclere Castle
To succeed in Florence’s rooms – now restored by the Nationwide Belief with a post bed and household furnishings, a few of which can have initially been in these rooms – one mounted the so-called Singing Stair within the domed corridor.
Conceived by Lightfoot as an necessary centrepiece, the stair and touchdown – completely labored in marquetry and parquetry mahogany, ebony, ivory and boxwood – has a balustrade of black and gold wheat sheaves that tremble and rustle as one mounts, however that is now too frail to make use of. The encircling partitions rising to the spectacular dome carry neoclassical plasterwork plaques by Joseph Rose, who later labored for Robert Adam.
Unusually, the higher ground solely has three bedrooms however, with their deeply carved ceilings every with three inside domes, they’re hanging. Apart from Florence’s condo, which appears instantly out to the Thirteenth-century parish church, the women’ sitting room, or Chinese language room, is of notice.
Right here Lightfoot’s creativeness ran riot with rocaille figurative Chinese language carvings. Though he had by no means been to China, he used sample books to create high-relief work so vivid that it nearly springs to life. Additionally fascinating on this ground is the household museum, full of things collected on the Verney household’s travels.
Whereas Lightfoot might have been a knave, his unparalleled work at Claydon, mixed with the home’s story, makes this an absolute marvel, ready to be explored by the madding crowd.
Extra houses from Houses & Antiques
Signal as much as our weekly newsletter to get pleasure from extra H&A content material delivered to your inbox.