If you happen to’re a digital nomad dreaming of dwelling in Japan however are not sure of the place to remain, then look no additional than Osaka. From its beautiful structure to its scrumptious delicacies and thriving nightlife, this vibrant metropolis is the right place to discover whereas living and working abroad as a digital nomad. However, before you purchase your airplane ticket, you first want to determine the logistics of dwelling in Osaka.
Osaka is one in every of my favourite cities in your complete world. Not solely have I visited this thrilling metropolis numerous instances as a toddler, however I additionally spent most of my 12 months dwelling overseas in Japan, in Osaka. It’s an ideal city to live in for digital nomads.
And despite the fact that the town has a fame for being upbeat and thrilling, it additionally affords a laid-back life-style that’s good for all of the introverts on the market (like me).
So as we speak, I’ll define the whole lot that you want to learn about dwelling in Osaka. From discovering lodging and co-working areas to exploring the town’s distinctive points of interest, this text will enable you to get settled into your new and exhilarating life in Osaka and the Kansai area. That is my final digital nomad information to Osaka. Let’s start:
Earlier than we dive into the small print of dwelling in Osaka, let’s go over some primary information in regards to the metropolis. Situated within the Kansai Area west of Tokyo, Osaka is the third-largest city in Japan (after Tokyo and Yokohama), housing almost 2.7 million folks over 225 sq. kilometers.
Osaka can also be a port metropolis, positioned subsequent to the glowing Osaka Bay. With its origins spreading back to the 5th century, Osaka is full of historical past. I positively advocate visiting Shitenno-ji Temple if doable; it’s the first Buddhist temple in Japan to be built by the government.
Within the fifteenth century, the town officially became known as Osaka, the place it thrived as a transportation and navy middle. In 1583, the majestic Osaka Castle was built. Osaka is a bustling metropolis full of an attention-grabbing previous and present tradition.
Residing in Osaka As a Digital Nomad
Now, you might be questioning what being a digital nomad in Osaka is like. Whereas Osaka is commonly missed in comparison with Tokyo, it positively deserves extra recognition.
Not solely is it extra affordable than Tokyo, with many finances housing choices out there, but it surely’s additionally positioned conveniently near Nara and Kyoto; two beautiful cities full of spectacular pure and cultural websites.
Well-known for its vivid and bustling downtown spots (equivalent to Namba and Dotonbori), that are full of flashing neon indicators and crowded bars, Osaka is heaven for any extrovert who enjoys nightlife. In distinction, it additionally affords quieter and extra picturesque spots, such because the tranquil Osaka Fort Park and the gorgeous Osaka Bay space.
Inside Japan, Osakans have a fame for being boisterous, pleasant, and laid-back. They’re additionally identified to have a very good humorousness and lots of main Japanese comedians are from Osaka.
Moreover, there’s a rising digital nomad group in Osaka, with new co-working spots always popping up all through the town.
With mouthwatering native dishes equivalent to okonomiyaki (a savory pancake comprised of cabbage and seafood) and takoyaki (bits of grilled octopus in a savory ball), it’s additionally the right vacation spot for all of the foodies amongst you. As you’ll be able to see, Osaka affords a little bit of the whole lot, making it the most effective locations to stay in Japan.
Is Osaka Protected?
Despite the fact that Osaka is a big, bustling, and full of life metropolis, it’s nonetheless thought-about to be one of the safest cities in the world. The overall crime rates are low, taxis are safe and reliable, and I’ve by no means had any run-ins with pick-pockets, scams, or petty thievery.
Even when my journey companion misplaced his GPS on a practice, we have been capable of finding and retrieve it simply from Osaka Station misplaced and located.
In fact, crime nonetheless takes place in Osaka, however, so long as you observe your instincts and take regular precautions, the town is extraordinarily secure. That being stated, I’d keep away from the Kamagasaki (Airinchiku) neighborhood.
Whereas Osaka (and Japan generally) has low crime charges, it’s vulnerable to pure disasters. Osaka is especially susceptible to earthquakes, typhoons, tsunamis, and flooding. To remain secure, I like to recommend maintaining up-to-date with native information and climate forecasts and reviewing security procedures within the occasion of those circumstances.
However, I wouldn’t fear an excessive amount of about it. Throughout my 12 months dwelling overseas in Japan, I solely skilled the smallest earthquake in Osaka, which hardly anybody felt. For sure, Osaka is a really secure metropolis.
Greatest Locations to Dwell in Osaka
Now that we’ve lined some primary information about Osaka, let’s get into the assorted neighborhoods Osaka has to supply. Listed below are the 5 finest locations to stay in Osaka:
1. Kita (Umeda)
First up, the most effective areas for dwelling in Osaka is undoubtedly Kita (Umeda). Situated in northern Osaka, (kita actually interprets to north), it’s centered round Umeda/Osaka practice station, which is the most important in Osaka.
This makes dwelling in Kita (Umeda) tremendous handy, as Umeda/Osaka Station has JR and non-JR traces (each native and fast) that take you across the whole metropolis and to high locations outdoors of Osaka, together with Kyoto, Nara, Kobe, and Himeji.
Moreover, Kita (Umeda) is Osaka’s enterprise middle and affords all kinds of buying and eating spots. Since Kita (Umeda) is such a thriving and in style space in downtown Osaka, housing may be dearer and aggressive. So, it’s seemingly not your best option for those who’re a extra budget-minded digital nomad.
However, with a number of co-working areas together with WeWork LINKS UMEDA, ONthe UMEDA, and Coworking & Shareoffice Reqree Dojima, pretty parks, and a soothing vibe, it’s one in every of my favourite locations to remain in Osaka.
2. Minami (Namba)
Subsequent, if you wish to keep in Osaka’s middle for leisure, actions, and nightlife, then it’s important to keep in Minami (Namba). Situated in southern Osaka (minami interprets to south), there’s an abundance of issues to do right here.
As an example, I like to recommend visiting the Kuromon Ichiba Market, the Shinsaibashi Buying Arcade, the Namba Yasaka Shrine, and the assorted outlets and eating places within the Dotonbori space.
There are various pretty cafes good for working remotely, and whereas this included some chain espresso outlets equivalent to Doutor, Starbucks, and Kiefel Espresso, I additionally discovered loads of unbiased cafes within the space too. Since there are such a lot of vacationers in Minami (Namba), it’s simple to search out different digital nomads and vacationers for those who’re in search of firm.
Minami (Namba) is a full of life and bustling space of Osaka and might change into fairly noisy at night time. I discovered myself getting fairly overwhelmed by the crowds whereas staying at an Airbnb within the middle of Namba. There weren’t many areas the place I may keep away from the swarms of holiday makers. So, for those who’re on the lookout for a quieter spot on your dwelling base, then this is probably not the place for you.
However, for those who thrive in these kinds of environments and love being in such an lively and thriving middle, then Minami (Namba) could possibly be the right selection for you when deciding the place to stay as an Osaka digital nomad.
If you happen to’re a digital nomad on the lookout for finances lodging within the metropolis, then I like to recommend trying on the choices in Tennoji. Not solely is Tennoji an financial hub full of outlets and eating places, but it surely additionally affords quieter areas in Tennoji Park and Shitenno-ji Temple. For these watching their wallets, Tennoji affords a few of the least expensive lodging in Osaka.
Tennoji is one in every of my favourite locations to remain in Osaka. Centered round Tennoji Station, which has a number of handy practice traces that journey inside and out of Osaka, Tennoji affords a little bit of the whole lot; historic temples, bustling malls, pleasant artwork galleries, and classy cafes.
Whereas it used to have a seedy fame, over the previous few many years, Tennoji has been remodeling into one in every of Osaka’s greatest financial facilities.
And since Tennoji is without doubt one of the most inexpensive locations to remain within the metropolis, you’re more likely to discover many different digital nomads to fulfill up with. Moreover, there are a number of co-working areas out there; I like to recommend testing Work Place Cocolo Abeno Matsuzakicho.
4. Osaka Fort Space
If you happen to’re on the lookout for a quieter place to remain in Osaka, then I extremely advocate testing the Osaka Castle Area. Because the identify implies, this space is centered round Osaka Fort.
Whereas the fort is one in every of Osaka’s high points of interest, its huge park is full of gardens, fields, a moat, and cherry and plum blossoms, making it a fascinating and serene location – it’s one in every of my favourite spots in Osaka.
This space sees fewer guests than the opposite neighborhoods of Osaka that I’ve listed to date, which makes it splendid for digital nomads and vacationers who wish to retreat from the hustle and bustle of downtown. And, whereas housing prices extra within the Osaka Fort space than in Tennoji, it’s cheaper than in Kita (Umeda) and Minami (Namba).
There are a number of quaint and comfortable cafes within the space that provide nice working environments, however these do have a tendency to shut sooner than the cafes in Umeda, Namba, and Tennoji. What’s handy is that for those who discover the Osaka Fort space to be a bit too laid-back and quiet, it’s simple to take a practice to the bustling neighborhoods of Umeda, Namba, and Tennoji.
Total, the Osaka Fort space is the right place to stay for those who want extra tranquil and enjoyable neighborhoods.
5. Osaka Bay Space
Final however not least, the most effective neighborhoods for dwelling in Osaka as a digital nomad is the Osaka Bay space. It’s probably the most stunning areas of Osaka and affords actually beautiful views of the Osaka Bay and the town’s skyline.
It’s the furthest neighborhood on this listing from downtown Osaka (observe that downtown consists of Kita (Umeda), Minami (Namba), and Tennoji). So, if you wish to be nearer to the motion, then the Osaka Bay space could also be somewhat far out for you. There additionally aren’t many co-working areas within the Osaka Bay space, which relying in your choice could also be a very good or unhealthy factor.
There are a good quantity of foreigners dwelling within the Osaka Bay space as a result of many expats work at Common Studios Japan. And because it’s additional away from downtown, the price of housing is fairly priced and extra inexpensive. Total, whereas the Osaka Bay space has fewer facilities for digital nomads, it’s probably the most attractive areas of Osaka and price trying into.
The right way to Discover Lodging in Osaka
Now that I’ve listed the most effective neighborhoods for dwelling in Osaka, let’s focus on how you can discover lodging in Osaka. Listed below are 5 other ways to search out housing in Osaka:
1. Airbnb: Providing brief and long-term choices, Airbnb permits vacationers to pay householders to remain of their properties and residences. It’s my most popular methodology for locating long-term lodging as a digital nomad as a result of it’s the simplest selection and I don’t have to fret about safety deposits, contracts, or opening a overseas checking account.
2. Fb Teams: One other handy method to discover housing in Osaka is thru Fb Teams, with a number of Osaka-based teams posting English- and foreigner-friendly listings. That is additionally a good way to attach with fellow expats. Some choices embody Osaka Housing, Rooms, Apartments, Sublets for rent, buy, sell, and Osaka Apartment Hunting/Share Housing Group.
3. Social Apartment: If you happen to’re considering of staying in a home share, then I like to recommend testing Social Condominium. Providing non-public rooms with fashionable and classy communal areas, Social Condominium is a superb and dependable firm that helps you discover comfy housing. Plus, staying in a share home makes it simpler to kind relationships with different digital nomads.
4. Best-Estate.JP: Targeted on aiding overseas residents find housing in Japan, Greatest-Property.JP is a reliable firm that helps you safe your residence earlier than you arrive in Japan.
5. GaijinPot Apartments: Whereas discovering housing as a digital nomad may be troublesome, GaijinPot Residences may help you out. A foreigner- and English-friendly web site full of out there residence listings throughout Japan, GaijinPot Residences simplifies residence trying to find you. Nevertheless, it may be more durable to search out cheaper residences this manner.
Price of Residing in Osaka
At this level, you might be questioning for those who may even afford to stay in Osaka. In any case, Japan does have a fame for being an costly vacation spot to journey to.
Whereas folks are inclined to view Japan as a dear and higher-end nation, it isn’t. I really discover it extra inexpensive than numerous the opposite nations I’ve visited and lived in. To you an concept of what you’ll be able to count on, right here’s a breakdown of the price of dwelling in Osaka:
Eating places and Groceries
First, let’s go over the price of meals in Osaka. Consuming out at a finances restaurant ought to price less than 1,000 JPY ($7.15 USD) per particular person, whereas a mid-range restaurant would price less than 2,890 JPY ($20.70 USD) per particular person. Tipping at eating places additionally isn’t anticipated in Japan so there aren’t any further prices in that sense.
One liter of milk prices round 197 JPY ($1.41 USD), one loaf of bread prices round 191 JPY ($1.36 USD), a carton of eggs prices round 265 JPY ($1.90 USD), one kilogram of cheese prices round 1,345 JPY ($9.64 USD), half a liter of home beer prices round 450 JPY ($3.22 USD), and a mid-range bottle of wine prices round 1,500 JPY ($10.74 USD). For extra grocery prices, try this website.
As you’ll be able to see, groceries are fairly inexpensive in Osaka. Residing in Canada, I miss the costs of tofu, udon, fruit jelly, and Japanese curry in comparison with the prices in Japan. That being stated, the fruit in Japan may be loopy costly; throughout my time there, I principally opted to eat kiwi to scale back my grocery payments.
Subsequent, let’s go over the price of lodging in Osaka. Within the middle of Osaka, the common hire for a one-bedroom residence is $611.42 USD per thirty days, whereas the common hire for a three-bedroom residence is $1,648.22 USD. Exterior of the town middle, the common hire for a one-bedroom residence is $370.43 USD. Learn more here.
If you happen to look into discovering a spot on Airbnb, you will discover dormitory rooms for round $265 USD per thirty days, non-public rooms in guesthouses from $368 USD per thirty days, and fully-private residences from $630 USD per thirty days. These prices can fluctuate, but it surely’s at all times price checking Airbnb first.
Keep in mind that housing prices fluctuate quite a bit relying on the place you’re staying. The most cost effective neighborhood is Abeno (close to Tennoji), with a studio costing a median of 43,000 JPY ($308 USD) per thirty days. In distinction, the most costly neighborhood is Kita (Umeda), with a studio costing a median 56,000 JPY ($400 USD) per thirty days.
Total, residences may be fairly inexpensive in Osaka.
Transportation Prices in Osaka
Now, let’s get into how you can get round Osaka and the way a lot it prices. Osaka (and Japan generally) has the most effective practice and transportation programs on the earth; not solely is it handy and huge, but it surely’s additionally punctual and quick. For sure, one of the best ways to get round Osaka and Japan is by practice.
Buses are additionally available and are handy to make use of. Taxis are an possibility too, however I wouldn’t use them except it’s essential, nor would I hire a automotive; it’s not price it when it’s sooner and simpler to journey by practice. Osaka can also be fairly a big metropolis, with an area of 225 square kilometers, so I’d solely advocate strolling if it’s not too lengthy of a distance.
Whereas the price of transportation is fairly inexpensive, it will probably add up (relying on how a lot you journey). Taking the subway or new tram one-way prices anyplace from $1.36 USD to $2.79 USD. Listed below are some examples of the prices of touring in Osaka:
- A practice from Namba Station to Osaka Fort prices $1.72 USD
- A practice from Tennoji Station to Umeda Station prices $2.08 USD
- A practice from Umeda Station to Kyoto Station prices $4.15 USD
- A practice from Namba Station to Kobe Station prices $5 USD
SIM Playing cards and Knowledge
Lastly, let’s go over the price of SIM playing cards and information in Osaka. Sadly, Japan doesn’t let guests buy SIM playing cards with textual content and name packages. However, vacationers should buy pay as you go data-only SIM playing cards.
If you happen to want to have the ability to name and textual content in your telephone with a Japanese SIM card, you’ll first must verify that your phone can work in Japan, then you definitely’ll want a chunk of Japanese identification (a residence card or Japanese driver’s license) and a Japanese tackle. I personally discovered this course of too cumbersome, so I by no means acquired a SIM card and I had no points getting by.
If you happen to’re comfy with solely getting a pay as you go data-only SIM card, they’re fairly simple to get.
You should purchase one from Yodobashi Digital camera outlets, airports, and comfort shops and all you want is an unlocked cellphone. Some firms providing pay as you go data-only SIM playing cards embody SoftBank Japan, Bmobile Japan, IIJmio Japan Travel SIM, Sakura Cell, and Nippon SIM for Japan.
For 30-day plans, you’ll be able to count on to pay a minimal of $15.72 USD for 1.5 GB of information, $23.58 USD for 3 GB of information, and $56.60 USD for limitless information. Click here for some worth comparisons.
Cash Saving Ideas for Osaka
As you’ll be able to see, whereas the dwelling prices in Osaka aren’t ridiculously excessive, they aren’t significantly low-cost both (particularly in comparison with nations in Southeast Asia). So, for those who’re anxious about how a lot it prices to stay in Osaka, listed below are some methods that you would be able to get monetary savings:
- Go to grocery shops shortly earlier than they shut. That is once they’ll present the most effective offers (from 10% to 50% off) on their ready-to-eat meals equivalent to sushi, lunch containers, and extra.
- If you happen to plan on touring the identical practice route often, look into getting a commuter cross. This cross will can help you journey between two particular practice stations an infinite quantity of instances inside the month, for a set worth.
- Journey inside Japan utilizing night time buses as a substitute of the Shinkansen (bullet practice) or airplane. It’s the most affordable method to journey, and my favourite method to get to Tokyo from Osaka.
- Decide to remain in a share home as a substitute of a personal residence. Not solely is it cheaper, but it surely’ll be simpler to search out and make mates with fellow expats.
- Buy native meals and items as a substitute of imported objects, and decrease your fruit consumption.
Coworking Areas in Osaka and Wifi Velocity
If you happen to’re planning on working remotely in Osaka, you is perhaps questioning about Osaka’s WiFi pace and out there co-working areas. Based on speedtest.internet, the median download speed is 46.38 Mbps, the median upload speed is 8.84 Mbps, and the median latency is 38 ms.
The WiFi is strong and reliable, and you may often discover usable WiFi at cafes, lodges, and comfort shops.
Nevertheless, for those who’re on the lookout for a stronger WiFi connection, you’ll be able to at all times try Osaka’s co-working areas. Listed below are 5 highly-rated co-working areas that I like to recommend testing:
- Osakan Space: For a welcoming, quiet, and enjoyable co-working area positioned in Kita (Umeda), I like to recommend utilizing Osakan Area. With each social and quiet areas and high-speed web, it’s the right place to work and socialize. Open from 10 am – 6 pm. A one-day cross prices 2,200 JPY ($15.70 USD), and a one-month cross prices 16,500 JPY ($117.74 USD).
- The DECK: For a snug co-working area with high-speed web, free-to-use displays, complimentary drinks, and a spacious and glossy design, it’s important to try the DECK. It’s open from 9 am – 6 pm Monday to Friday and 10 am – 6 pm on weekends. It prices $16 USD per day, $50 USD per week, or $100 USD per thirty days.
- WeWork Namba SkyO: If you happen to’re on the lookout for the most effective co-working areas in Minami (Namba), then look no additional than WeWork Namba SkyO. Whereas signing up for WeWork is extra difficult than the opposite co-working areas and entails a contract, WeWork Namba SkyO affords giant and spacious widespread areas, high-speed WiFi, complimentary drinks, and beautiful views. Open from 8:30 am – 6 pm on weekdays. You need to inquire in regards to the prices.
- INOVE Shared Office Honmachi: For a big and cozy co-working area in Honmachi with pleasant, English-speaking workers, varied seating choices, and high-speed web, try INOVE Shared Workplace Honmachi. Open from 9 am – 5 pm (for drop-in visits). A one-day drop in cross prices 1,000 JPY ($7.13 USD).
- ONthe UMEDA: Situated within the middle of Umeda, ONthe UMEDA is a handy and spacious co-working area with pleasant and welcoming workers, complimentary drinks, high-speed web, and an inspiring atmosphere. Open from 8:30 am – 9 pm. A one-day drop-in cross prices 4,000 JPY ($28.56 USD).
Actions and Issues To Do in Osaka
Whereas there are various allures of merely dwelling within the metropolis, there are many issues to do in Osaka to maintain you entertained. You’ll be able to’t stay in one in every of Japan’s most enjoyable and bustling areas with out doing these 5 issues:
1. Discover, Store, and Eat Across the Dotonbori Canal
One in all Osaka’s hottest and iconic sights is the Dotonbori Canal. Crammed with flashy neon indicators (together with the well-known Glico Operating Man signal), an unlimited array of distinctive outlets, and mouthwatering avenue meals, the Dotonbori Canal is the middle of Osaka’s nightlife.
Situated in Minami (Namba), Dotonbori is simple to stroll to from the Namba practice station. It’s additionally the most effective place to expertise Osaka’s bar scene. Whereas I don’t have a lot expertise with the bars and golf equipment of Dotonbori (I’m not a lot of a drinker), I hear that Dotonbori’s nightlife is each full of life and exhilarating.
If, like me, you don’t like going out a lot, there’s nonetheless a lot to do in Dotonbori. I like to recommend getting misplaced in Dotonbori’s again streets and exploring the canal-side outlets (together with Don Quijote, my favourite cut price store).
2. Wander the Grounds of Osaka Fort Park
Subsequent, my absolute favourite factor to do in Osaka is to go to the majestic Osaka Castle. Initially constructed in 1583 under Hideyoshi Toyotomi, it has an extended and tumultuous historical past that you would be able to find out about in its historical past museum. It’s simple to get to by practice; to get there from Namba, take the JR West Osaka Loop Line and get off at Osakajokoen Station.
I like visiting Osaka Fort for its huge and enchanting park. An oasis within the coronary heart of Osaka, the park options gardens, cherry blossoms, plum blossoms, and a moat. Take a look at this guided walking tour which takes within the Osaka Fort.
3. Guide a Meals Tour Round Shinsekai
If you happen to’ve simply arrived in Osaka and also you wish to get a style of the town, I like to recommend reserving this Osaka: Shinsekai Food Tour. Taking you to a few of the most scrumptious and genuine eating places within the Shinsekai neighborhood, you’ll get a style of a few of Japan’s finest dishes, together with takoyaki, udon, yakitori, edamame, karaage, and gyoza.
That is for sure one of the best ways to introduce your self to Osaka and all it has to supply, so I positively advocate checking it out. To be taught extra and guide the tour, click here.
4. Go to the Serene and Picturesque Shitenno-ji Temple
If you happen to’re fascinated about visiting one of many oldest Buddhist temples in Japan, then look no additional than Shitenno-ji Temple. Constructed in 593 beneath Prince Shotoku, Shitenno-ji Temple is the primary Japanese Buddhist temple to be constructed by the state.
Situated in Tennoji, Shitenno-ji Temple is simple to get to. You’ll be able to stroll there from Tennoji Station in beneath ten minutes, or get off on the Shitennoji-mae-Yuhigaoka subway station. Not solely is the temple stunning, but it surely additionally holds a stunning pond and pleasant gardens.
If doable, I like to recommend visiting Shitenno-ji Temple on the twenty first of the month when it hosts a bustling flea market full of fascinating items. I really stumbled throughout it once I visited. For sure, I used to be fairly shocked on the temple crowds on a Tuesday morning.
5. Spend an Exhilarating Day at Common Studios Japan
Final however not least, one in every of Osaka’s biggest points of interest is the thrilling Universal Studios Japan (USJ for brief). Spending a full day at USJ was at all times a spotlight of my journey as a toddler, and it nonetheless is – you’re by no means too outdated to benefit from the screams and thrills of this superb theme park.
I positively advocate occurring the Jurassic Park experience, Jaws experience, and Area Fantasy experience when you’re there. And don’t neglect in regards to the newer rides like Mario Kart: Koopa’s Problem and the Flying Dinosaur.
USJ can also be simple to get to by taking the practice to Common Metropolis Station. If you happen to’re fascinated about reserving an entry cross upfront, click here.
Climate in Osaka
Osaka has a temperate local weather with scorching, moist summers and chilly, dry winters. Since there’s little precipitation within the winter, Osaka not often sees snow.
The coldest months are from December to March, with the common temperatures various between 5°C to 9°C (41°F to 48.2°F). The most well liked months are from June to September, with the common temperatures various between 23°C to 28°C (73.4°F to 82.4°F). Osaka solely tends to get a median rainfall of 1,300 millimeters (51 inches) per year.
In my view, the most effective instances to go to Osaka are within the spring and fall. Not solely is the climate probably the most splendid, however these are the right instances to admire Osaka’s cherry blossoms and autumn foliage. So if doable, spend your time exploring Osaka in late March and early April, and November.
The worst instances to go to Osaka are usually in July and August when the vacationers are most current and the climate probably the most oppressive. I’d additionally advocate avoiding Osaka in August and September because it’s peak storm season.
Professionals and Cons of Residing in Osaka
As with anyplace on the earth, there are each execs and cons of dwelling in Osaka:
Professionals of Residing in Osaka
- Countless Issues to Do: From its expansive buying spots to its numerous historic temples, you’ll by no means get tired of Osaka’s sights.
- Scrumptious and Low cost Avenue Meals: My favourite a part of dwelling in Osaka was having the ability to often take pleasure in some mouthwatering avenue meals, together with takoyaki and okonomiyaki.
- Handy and Reliable Public Transportation: Japan has the most effective practice programs on the earth, and it’s simple to shortly get across the metropolis utilizing Osaka’s trains, subways, trams, and buses.
- Unbelievable Day Journeys: Osaka is conveniently near a few of the most stunning locations in Japan, together with Kyoto, Nara, Mount Koya, and Himeji.
- Protected: As one of many safest cities on the earth, you don’t have to fret about petty thievery, mugging, or scams in Osaka.
Cons of Residing in Osaka
- Price of Residing: Whereas Osaka isn’t significantly costly, it’s considerably pricier than dwelling in different areas of Asia, equivalent to Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, and the Philippines.
- Many People who smoke: If you happen to’re a non-smoker like myself, the prevalence of smoking in Osaka can get in your nerves. And whereas Osaka is making an attempt to eradicate avenue smoking and supplies separate smoking zones, it isn’t unusual to get some second-hand smoke.
- Cockroaches: Rising up in Vancouver, I’d by no means skilled life with cockroaches earlier than dwelling in Japan. And whereas I don’t contemplate myself to be a squeamish particular person, nothing has scared me greater than seeing a cockroach roaming the kitchen at night time. Be ready to face them in the summertime months.
- It Can Get Crowded: Because the third largest metropolis in Japan, and a preferred vacationer spot for home and worldwide vacationers, the Osakan crowds can get overwhelming.
Digital Nomad Visa for Japan
Let’s end off this digital nomad information to Osaka by discussing the out there visas for distant employees. Sadly, Japan doesn’t supply visas specifically for digital nomads. Nevertheless, there are different methods of dwelling in Osaka as a foreigner.
For American, British, and Canadian guests, you’ll be able to keep in Japan for as much as 90 days with no visa. In my view, that is the simplest method to stay in Osaka as a digital nomad. Whereas your time dwelling overseas in Japan is restricted to three months, you get to skip out on coping with Japan’s forms.
Japan additionally affords working vacation visas and work visas, however it’s unlikely that you just’ll obtain approval as a distant employee. However, there are some rumors that Japan shall be introducing a digital nomad visa quickly!
I hope this digital nomad information on dwelling in Osaka has supplied you with a greater concept of what your life would appear to be in one in every of Japan’s most full of life cities.
Whereas the method of relocating to a brand new metropolis, in search of lodging, getting a SIM card, discovering a daily co-working area, and doubtlessly coping with Japan’s irritating and over-complicated forms generally is a trouble, it’s positively price it.
No matter whether or not you’re planning to remain in Osaka for a month or a 12 months, Osaka has one thing to supply for each sort of traveler: a thriving nightlife, tranquil parks, huge buying districts, and historical shrines to call a couple of. So pack up your luggage and seize your passports, I’m certain you’ll have an unimaginable time.