On this digital nomad information to Montenegro, I’ll cowl the ins and outs of digital nomad life on this lovely nation. From security and the place to stay, to the most effective coworking areas and issues to do, you’ll discover out all that you must know inside this text.
Montenegro (translated actually as ‘Black Mountain’), is a comparatively small nation, sandwiched between Croatia and Albania on the Adriatic Sea. It additionally shares borders with Serbia, Kosovo, and Bosnia and Herzegovina.
It has a inhabitants of simply over 600,000, however don’t let its small measurement idiot you. Montenegro affords a few of the most spectacular surroundings I’ve ever seen. It’s residence to mountains and historic caves, top-class ski resorts, glacial lakes, and exquisite seashores.
The nation is so compact you can ski and spend time on the seaside on the identical day. Its cities, together with the capital, Podgorica, provide cool bars and eating places and the nation has an excellent cafe tradition.
Its pleasant folks and low-cost meals, drink, and lodging choices (in comparison with different locations in Europe), make it an excellent hidden gem for digital nomads.
After residing in Montenegro as a digital nomad for simply over 2 months, I’m going to share every thing I discovered throughout my time on this charming nation.
Residing as a Digital Nomad in Montenegro
Being a digital nomad in Montenegro is less complicated than you may suppose. You simply must fastidiously take into account the place to base your self, as high-speed WiFi and coworking areas are extra typically discovered within the cities and cities.
The extra rural you get – and Montenegro will get very rural in locations – the much less seemingly you might be to seek out these items. The advantage of being a digital nomad in Montenegro although, is that SIMs are extremely low-cost; which means you should use these as scorching spots if you end up out in the midst of nowhere for just a few days.
Regardless of cafes being plentiful, they’re typically on the small facet, and so aren’t capable of home a dozen freelancers consuming espresso all day. Nevertheless, coworking areas can be found in main cities all alongside the coast and throughout the capital metropolis. Encouragingly, the variety of all-in-one coworking and coliving areas, reminiscent of Playworking, is on the rise.
I’d describe Montenegro as having an up-and-coming digital nomad scene. Vacationers and ex-pats at the moment are realizing what a incredible possibility Montenegro is for many who love the outside, show-stopping surroundings, and year-round delicate temperatures at inexpensive costs.
Is Montenegro Secure?
I at all times felt protected and located the folks extremely pleasant and welcoming. In truth, hitchhiking continues to be thought-about a much-accepted method to get round. My husband and I hitchhiked a few occasions within the extra rural areas of the nation and even managed a few pleasant conversations about English Premier League soccer.
The crime price is very low, particularly when it comes to violent crime. Though, in vacationer hotspots, significantly through the summer season season, it’s best to preserve your wits about you. Use widespread sense; don’t go away your bag unattended, and be aware of pickpockets, and so forth. As a girl, I additionally felt very protected, even when strolling alone each in bigger cities and in additional distant areas.
Having stated this, organized crime and corruption are considerations throughout the nation. Nevertheless, these are pretty high-level issues and are unlikely to have an effect on these working remotely in Montenegro.
Greatest Locations to Dwell in Montenegro
Listed here are just a few recommendations of the place to base your self as a digital nomad in Montenegro:
Tivat has its personal airport and can be a great possibility as a longer-term base. It’s a brief drive from Kotor and Budva and has many bars, eating places, and cafes to get pleasure from. You possibly can spend time ogling the huge yachts and boats that pull into the port right here too.
Greatest Areas to Dwell in Tivat
Porto Montenegro is the primary port space and most luxurious neighborhood, but it surely isn’t preferrred for digital nomads on a funds. Many ex-pats have vacation flats right here that they normally solely go to in the summertime months. So, if you happen to’re in Tivat at different occasions of the yr, you might be able to choose up a rental deal.
Donja Lastva has lovely seashores, crystal clear water, eating places, cafes, and points of interest. You possibly can stroll to Porto Montenegro in about 20 minutes and this quiet neighborhood has a high-speed web construction.
Mazina is situated within the higher a part of Tivat however continues to be near points of interest. Lodging prices could also be barely cheaper on this space because it’s set again from the primary Porto Montenegro space. Take into account, nonetheless, that some areas of Mazina might require a automobile to get into the middle of city.
Coworking Areas in Tivat
Sedam Petaka has round 15 obtainable workstations, affords out-of-hours occasions, and a drink and snack station. It additionally has quick, secure WiFi. It’s only a 5-minute stroll from Porto Montenegro and you may hire a desk by the hour for €3.
Innovation Center affords digital nomads high-speed web, printer/scanner amenities, and comfy workstations. It additionally has outside seating, so you’ll be able to look out over the gorgeous Montenegrin surroundings whilst you work.
Playworking is a little bit completely different in that it affords easy, trendy, and inexpensive lodging with non-public en-suite bogs, in addition to a long-term coworking area, shared communal areas, and plenty of exterior spots to get pleasure from. It additionally affords a great deal of different perks, reminiscent of free yoga classes, and the usage of SUPs (stand-up paddle boards) and bikes.
Issues To Do in Tivat
- Porto Montenegro – Porto Montenegro was the primary platinum-rated marina on the earth. The marina is subsequent to Tivat Middle so you’ll be able to stroll alongside the water, seize a drink and watch a sundown or do some high-end buying. There are additionally many luxury yachts and boats to take a look at wishfully. Foods and drinks prices a little bit extra on this space.
- The Naval Heritage Museum – That is simply exterior of Porto Montenegro and homes over 300 displays of the realm’s Naval historical past.
- Get out on the water – The water round Tivat is properly sheltered by the form of the bay, making it good for water sports activities. You possibly can rent SUPs, to discover the bay from the water, or if you happen to fancy one thing a little bit sooner, boats are readily available to hire for just a few hours or for the entire day. This boat tour will take you out on the water from Tivat to discover the Bay of Kotor.
- Stroll the promenade – Tivat has an excellent promenade that takes you all the way in which from the marina to a ferry cease in Lepetane. It’s a stunning scenic stroll that takes you thru close by Seljanovo and Donja Lastva the place you’ll be able to admire previous stone buildings and the Sveti Roko church. As with every good stroll, there are many locations to cease for a drink or a snack alongside the way in which.
- Take a drive to a close-by seaside – Tivat doesn’t provide many seashores itself, however Luštica Peninsula, (only a 25 km away), has some lovely seashores to discover.
Podgorica will get a foul rap generally, with different bloggers describing it as boring. Nevertheless, I didn’t discover this to be the case and loved spending time there. As a base for digital nomads, it has all you might need – a metropolis vibe, loads of coworking choices, and lots of bars and eating places.
It’s undoubtedly not as fairly because the coastal cities, but it surely doesn’t see as many overseas vacationers, the costs don’t hike as a lot in the summertime months, and it’s a central transport hub which means it’s straightforward to get to most locations within the nation from there.
Greatest Areas to Dwell in Podgorica
In the event you desire a extra suburban vibe and are more likely to solely need to pop into the town just a few occasions per week, Zelenika (alongside the primary freeway between Podgorica and Skadar Lake Nationwide Park) is the most effective space for you. The town middle is simply two kilometers away, whereas Skadar Lake National Park is simply 20 kilometers from right here, and the seaside cities of the coast are lower than 35 kilometers away.
Throughout the river from the Outdated City is Novi Grad (or ‘New City’). This space has numerous parks and out of doors areas and the town middle continues to be simply accessible on foot.
Alternatively, you might go for Podgorica metropolis middle for essentially the most central location from which to discover the sights. You’ll discover some hostels within the middle itself, in addition to flats to go well with a variety of budgets. The middle is surrounded by public parks and is inside straightforward strolling distance of all main points of interest and historic monuments.
Coworking Areas in Podgorica
Nest coworking area in Podgorica affords guests assembly rooms, desks, parking, a lounge space for networking, and 24/7 entry, making it particularly helpful for digital nomads in Montenegro.
Upbeat Hub caters to freelancers, startups, and established companies particularly in artistic and cultural industries, tourism, and sustainable economic system, and describes itself as a hub for collaboration, innovation, and social affect. It additionally contains a roof terrace for spectacular views of the town.
WorkHub is discovered within the coronary heart of the town and gives non-public workplaces, non-public desks, coworking desks, assembly rooms, and digital workplaces, all outfitted with high-speed web, printing and scanning amenities, and workplace provides. It affords tea and low, completely satisfied hours and communal occasions, a lounge space, and an out of doors terrace. It’s additionally pet pleasant.
Issues To Do in Podgorica
- Take a stroll alongside the river – Podgorica truly has 6 rivers working by means of it, however essentially the most spectacular is the Moraca. Decide a perfect-looking massive rock to cease and sip a beer or eat a picnic on, while admiring the turquoise water rush previous you. You could possibly mix a stroll out of the town with a go to to the ruins of Duklja, an previous Roman city on the banks of the river.
- Wander round Stara Varoš – This is among the oldest elements of the town and dates again to Ottoman occasions, however the space was largely destroyed throughout WW2. There are just a few buildings that also stay, such because the Clock Tower on the sting of the district and a few mosques. It’s a small however good space to walk round and get a really feel for the previous Podgorica.
- Go to the Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ – Regardless of it solely being just a few a long time previous, the Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ is among the most lovely and spectacular buildings in Podgorica. There’s a restaurant subsequent door the place you are taking within the view, and if you happen to’re fortunate, presumably even catch a marriage get together arriving.
- Bar Hop alongside Njegoseva – This avenue, and some offshoots, situated proper within the middle of the capital is lined with bars, cafes, and eating places the place we frequently spent afternoons and evenings consuming and consuming for very cheap costs. Konoba Avlija was one among our favourite bars, and it typically has stay music too.
- Take a Day Journey – Podgorica is extremely well-connected so it’s nice to decide on as a base to discover the remainder of the nation. You possibly can go for a boat tour on Skadar Lake, or head inland and go to Cetinje and wander the streets admiring the previous authorities buildings. The coastal cities are very accessible from right here too. This 4-hour tour will take you out of the town to Montenegro’s Niagara Waterfalls and Ostrog Monastery.
Budva is taken into account the get together capital of Montenegro. It has an Outdated City, with an identical really feel to that of Kotor, however is residence to very large lodges and high-rise vacation flats that dominate the skyline and beachfront.
In the event you’re a digital nomad that likes to work onerous and play onerous, Budva needs to be excessive in your record of doable areas. It has loads of nightlife, together with golf equipment, bars, festivals, and eating places, in addition to pretty seashores.
Most of the golf equipment have open-air rooftops providing superb views of the ocean. It’s additionally very effectively linked through bus to the opposite main cities alongside the coast and the capital.
Greatest Areas to Dwell in Budva
As a digital nomad in Montenegro, keep out of Budva’s Outdated City as lodging choices are restricted and the realm will get significantly crowded in the summertime. Podmaine is simply north of the city middle and affords some first rate funds lodging. There are many alternatives to get into the nice outdoor and the gorgeous countryside that surrounds Budva on this location too.
Becici Beach is simply up the coast from Budva and affords a barely slower tempo of life. It’s not fairly as busy as Budva, however is shut sufficient to simply attain by foot or bike, and has its share of bars and cafes – in addition to a fantastic shoreline.
Jaz is the following cove alongside from Budva’s Outdated City and has sandy seashores the place you’ll be able to catch some fantastic sunsets. Close by Mogren Seashore is a little bit quieter than the busy seashores of Budva itself and reasonably affords a quiet retreat, while nonetheless being shut sufficient to the leisure and buzz of Budva.
Coworking Areas in Budva
Itbranch.house has an onsite bar and out of doors terrace space so you’ll be able to loosen up with a beer or a snack and community with others after just a few hours of labor. It’s a dynamic workspace situated proper within the middle of Budva and has high-speed web, trendy workstations, and plenty of pure mild. You possibly can e book a desk for two hours, for costs from €5.
Hubrela describes itself as ‘the last word’ coworking expertise in Montenegro. This coworking middle affords quite a lot of social meetups, workshops, and free academic days for its members. It’s only a 10-minute stroll from the seaside and embraces an ethos of constructing a very collaborative neighborhood of freelancers, distant employees, and entrepreneurs.
Issues To Do in Budva
- See the Ballerina Statue – This statue is one among Budva’s most iconic symbols. It’s situated alongside a boardwalk that hugs the cliffs; taking you from one small seaside to a different. Legend says it commemorates a dancer who was in love with a sailor despatched off to sea. She waited by the water on daily basis hoping he would return, however he by no means did.
- Stroll The 7 Bay Path – This 9km stroll will take you from Budva Old Town to Sveti Stefan, a super-high-class resort the place many celebrities personal vacation houses. Alongside the way in which, you’ll cross by means of the facet of a cliff in a pedestrian tunnel and revel in seven lovely seashores. There are many bars and cafes alongside the route, so remember to cease at just a few alongside the way in which.
- Go to Hawaii – Only one kilometer off the coast is St Nikola Island, (or Hawaii because it’s in any other case identified, due to its crystal clear blue waters and sandy seashores). We received the ferry there for €3 and you may probe for an hour or spend the entire day wandering round at your leisure.
- Dance Till the Solar Comes Up – Budva certain is aware of get together, particularly through the summer season months. There are a great deal of cool golf equipment alongside the shore, together with Top Hill, situated above the city with an enormous 5,000-person capability and an open-air dance ground. Budva additionally hosts Sea Dance Festival in August annually, which pulls in clubbers from throughout Europe.
- Benefit from the Outdated City – Budva’s Outdated City is a little bit smaller than Kotor’s but it surely’s simply as fairly. You possibly can spend a while strolling by means of the alleys and cobblestone plazas while selecting up a little bit of buying. It additionally homes the gorgeous Budva Citadel.
You could possibly be mistaken for considering you’re in Venice as you’re wandering by means of the cobbled streets of Kotor’s Outdated City. Its lovely stone partitions, winding streets and little cafes nestled within the shade of an alcove make it a very charming place to discover.
Exterior the Outdated City partitions is a good promenade with bars and eating places and a man-made seaside. You possibly can stroll proper alongside the bay (or cycle or hop on a ship) for a scenic journey to neighboring Perast from right here.
Kotor is among the hottest cities for vacationers, not in small half attributable to the truth that its port accommodates big cruise liners. Be ready to be met by massive crowds filling the streets through the summer season months.
Greatest Areas to Dwell in Kotor
Kotor itself is pretty small, so residing throughout the Outdated City metropolis partitions long term, particularly through the summer season months with all of the vacationers, might be a little bit overwhelming. The encircling space, nonetheless, may simply strike the appropriate steadiness.
To the north, there’s Dobrota, and to the south, Škaljari. Each are very walkable from Kotor, however you’ll benefit from the peace and quiet obtainable from June to August.
I discovered that the Outdated City was stuffed with higher-end lodges, so that you’ll discover extra worth for cash by staying simply exterior. My associate and I stayed simply exterior the Outdated City partitions in an Airbnb house for a little bit over €40 an evening in April.
Coworking Areas in Kotor
Kotor Nest is a good spot for digital nomads and is situated proper within the middle of the city. The area affords cozy residing areas, quick WiFi, and customary areas for brainstorming, assembly new folks, and connecting over espresso.
It’s a stone’s throw from the water, so a lunchtime swim is an effective way to get away out of your laptop, and it’s simply a few minutes away from a few of the greatest bars in Kotor. It’s conveniently open 24/7.
Playworking is situated about quarter-hour away from Kotor however is price mentioning once more right here. It affords ample coworking area and personal en suite bedrooms.
Issues To Do in Kotor
- Kotor Cats – I believe I counted over 20 in a single tiny sq. as soon as, simply snoozing within the solar. Go to the Cat Museum and assist the local people, realizing that the doorway price of €1 Euro goes to native charities that assist handle Kotor’s many felines. There’s additionally a memento retailer that completely sells cat-themed items.
- Stroll Alongside the Old City Walls – The partitions date again to the ninth century and there are staircases dotted across the Outdated City that may take you as much as the partitions the place you’ll be able to proceed to walk and see the city from above. The partitions are fairly steep in locations however if you happen to fancy an actual problem, climb the Ladder of Kotor – an 8-mile path behind the city.
- Wander the Outdated City – The Outdated City itself is just about 300m by 300m, so it’s onerous to get too disorientated. I cherished wandering the streets, stopping for a snack, or a drink or two in a cute cafe or bar. Be sure to stroll by St. Tryphon’s Cathedral, a fantastic constructing nestled in a little bit sq..
- Folks Watch in a Plaza – Very similar to Italy, Kotor has some lovely plazas the place you’ll be able to sit and watch the world go by or learn a e book. Arms Sq. is on the very entrance of the town and features a few of its personal sights, together with the Clock Tower and Sea Gate.
- Take a Boat Journey – Kotor is ideally situated for guests to discover the entire of the Bay of Kotor. Boats will zip you over to close by Perast, or take you out for just a few hours fishing. Boat firms massive and small line the port with numerous affords to tempt you. A trip to the Blue Cave, solely accessible by the water, is among the hottest. This tour will take you to swim within the Blue Cave’s crystal waters.
Methods to Discover Lodging in Montenegro
Lodging is comparatively cheap in Montenegro. My husband and I stayed in Podgorica (the capital), Kolašin (a northern mountain city identified for its ski resort), and several other bustling seaside cities throughout our time there and we have been at all times impressed by what we might discover for our funds.
As with most international locations although, costs do improve through the summer season vacationer season. The shoulder seasons on both facet of the favored summer season months are the most effective occasions to go if you happen to’re sticking to a funds.
1. Airbnb – From non-public rooms to total houses, Airbnb affords choices in virtually each nook of Montenegro. You’ll be stunned at how low-cost you’ll be able to safe an excellent spot – particularly with the month-to-month reductions typically provided.
2. Booking.com – From hostels and ‘visitor homes’ (that are Montenegrin household houses transformed to host a traveler or two) to all-inclusive five-star seaside lodges and retreats, there’s one thing for each funds. The free cancellation possibility can be a reassuring characteristic.
3. 2home – This can be a nice little web site that covers quite a lot of areas inside Montenegro and affords every thing from massive villas with swimming pools to flats inside Montenegrin household houses.
4. Realitica – It’s not the prettiest of internet sites however is helpful nonetheless. You possibly can search by location and it affords quite a lot of sorts and sizes of lodging.
5. Montenegro Digital Nomad – That is an superior web site that helps folks relocate in addition to hire in Montenegro. Costs are additionally damaged down so you’ll be able to examine low season and summer-season prices.
There are moreover a number of Fb teams that publicize longer-term leases, so it’s price logging in and checking these out too. Listed here are just some to get you began: UK Expats in Montenegro, Montenegro Digital Nomads and Remote Workers, and Montenegro Move Property Sales, Rentals & Life in Montenegro.
Price of Residing in Montenegro
The price of residing in Montenegro is usually fairly low, making it an excellent location for quite a lot of digital nomads to contemplate basing themselves in for a size of time.
Eating places and Groceries
You’ll by no means be removed from a quick meals model takeout, serving kebabs in pittas or burgers for beneath €5 or €6. A two-course meal for 2 in a restaurant and a bottle of wine will price round €35.
In style favorites like cevapcici (grilled kebabs), sarma (cabbage leaves filled with meat), and goulash is discovered on most menus. Nice seafood is available on the coast and is commonly caught and served recent. Bureks are Turkish pastries stuffed with meat or cheese and sometimes price solely a few Euros. You’ll discover them in bakeries all through the day. For a reasonable meal in a conventional restaurant, anticipate to pay round €8 for a principal dish.
Montenegrin wine is a few of the greatest I’ve ever had and it begins at a delightful €5 for an honest bottle at a grocery store in Podgorica. There are nationwide beers on provide reminiscent of Niksicko (a lager-type beer) in each cafe and bar for round €2. You’ll have the ability to seize an honest espresso for a Euro or two.
A preferred robust alcoholic drink – rakija (brandy with an alcohol content material of 50-60%) can be very talked-about. You should buy a 750ml bottle of grape brandy in any supermarket for around €15, and the price of a shot in bars varies, but it surely’s not costly. You may additionally see households promoting their home made rakija in previous Coca-Cola bottles exterior their houses or at native markets.
We discovered searching for groceries cheaper than in different European international locations, particularly recent veg and meat. You possibly can anticipate a weekly store for 2 folks to price €50 tops. Chains like Voli and Aroma are widespread, however there are additionally loads of smaller unbiased grocery shops to choose from. Supermarkets are closed each Sunday – so top off prematurely.
A typical bunk mattress in a hostel dorm will price about €9-€10. This will increase to up to €20 if you’d like a non-public room. Hostels will more than likely be discovered inside coastal cities or bigger cities and generally additionally provide guided excursions or day journeys. This can be a nice method to meet folks and see the nation by means of the eyes of a neighborhood.
A visitor home (normally an annexed a part of an present Montenegrin household residence), will begin at round €15-€20 per night time on Booking.com. Flats with nice views and plentiful facilities – particularly on the coast – will begin at €50 and will stretch to €100 per night time like this one just outside Kotor. In the event you desire to have your personal residing and cooking area, an house is likely to be the most suitable choice for you. Most include a full kitchen, washer, and different facilities.
A room in a mid-range resort is more likely to begin at round €50, like this one in Kotor’s Old Town. This can improve relying on location and time of yr. Fancy coastal lodges can be costlier with costs beginning at round €100 per night time. You’ll discover these bigger hotels like the Dukely, in coastal cities reminiscent of Budva.
Transportation Prices in Montenegro
Inside Podgorica, you’ll be able to obtain TelsaApp – a ride-share enterprise with Telsa autos bookable in the identical manner as Uber. Inside bigger cities, you’ll discover an abundance of metered taxis that may allow you to get round.
There’s a great bus community to get from metropolis to metropolis. The buses aren’t trendy or massive – so don’t anticipate air-con as a normal – however they’re dependable and frequent. They’re additionally low-cost, with tickets from Budva to Podgorica for instance ranging from €5. You’ll must pay a Euro or two if you happen to’re touring with a big bag, and there could also be a small price to print your ticket on the station.
The most important routes are Budvar-Kotor-Podgorica and Bar-Podgorica. In the event you really feel like venturing additional afield, you can even get the bus to neighboring international locations like Croatia and Albania very simply.
The roads are fairly good in Montenegro and car hire begins from round €50 a day. Foremost roads join the primary cities alongside the coast and the capital and these are effectively maintained. The extra rural and off the crushed monitor you get although, the dicier the roads turn into – I communicate from expertise!
Rail journey is a good suggestion if you happen to’re trying to head into the mountains. The journey from Podgorica to Kolašin is beautiful and costs less than €10 per person each way. The views from the practice of the valleys as you trip over immense bridges are effectively well worth the journey.
SIM Playing cards and Information
You will discover SIMs at information and tobacco kiosks dotted round cities and cities, at airports, or within the shops of community firms. I discovered a T-Cell retailer in Podgorica the place I introduced a SIM for €15. This gave me all the info I wanted (and extra) for 30 days.
The primary native networks are One Montenegro, MTEL, and Telekom CG. This text from Montenegro Digital Nomad has a breakdown of what every supplier affords. One Montenegro is commonly the preferred selection. It affords a pay as you go vacationer pack of 1000GB of knowledge for 30 days at simply €10.
Cash Saving Ideas for Montenegro
- Discover on Foot – You possibly can stroll by means of a lot of the cities and cities, so there’s no want for public transport. Strolling is an effective way to see and expertise native life. There are numerous free strolling excursions to take that provide the probability to seek out out extra in regards to the metropolis.
- Prepare dinner at Least one Meal a Day – Groceries are low-cost in Montenegro if you happen to follow native or conventional meals. Think about difficult your self to prepare dinner and eat not less than one meal inside your lodging every day, (offering you have got the cooking amenities).
- Look out for Vacationer Offers – The inflow of vacationers through the summer season months signifies that eating places provide particular vacationer menus. These normally provide 2-3 programs for round €10. Parts are a great measurement in Montenegro, so these offers will provide a great meal at an affordable value.
- Free Areas and Hikes – There are free parks and areas throughout the main cities and Montenegro is residence to a few of the most spectacular mountain climbing trails. The Ladder of Kotor is an immense path behind Kotor that provides superb views, and it’s fully free.
- Go to within the Off-Season – Coastal cities get busier in the summertime, and pricier, so take into account visiting within the shoulder seasons. You’ll miss the crowds and get higher worth for cash.
- Go Inland – Head inland to someplace like Cetinje or Podgorica, and even to the mountains within the hotter months. It is going to be cooler there and costs gained’t see such a hike, particularly in comparison with the coastal cities.
Coworking Areas in Montenegro and WiFi Pace
Here’s a choice of a few of the greatest coworking areas in Montenegro for digital nomads. Coworker will help you discover your nearest coworking location:
- Playworking affords lodging in a big home simply quarter-hour from each Kotor and Tivat. It has ample coworking area, non-public en-suite bedrooms, shared communal areas, and plenty of exterior area to get pleasure from. Single rooms begin at €860 a month (April, Could, and November), to €1320 a month (June, July, and August). For these costs, you get a great deal of different perks, together with free yoga classes, and the usage of stand-up paddle boards and bikes.
- WorkHub is within the coronary heart of Podgorica. Its companies embody non-public workplaces, non-public desks, coworking desks, assembly rooms, and digital workplaces. You possibly can get pleasure from completely satisfied hours and communal occasions, a lounge space, exterior terrace, and it’s additionally pet pleasant. Scorching desks price €15 a day, €50 per week, or €150 a month.
- Hubrela is only a 10-minute stroll from the seaside in Budva. For €150 a month, €40 per week, or €10 a day, you’ll be able to get pleasure from high-speed web, air-con, convention rooms, and loads of free espresso.
- Montenegro Tower in Bar is a brand new enterprise and the house owners are at all times including extra facilities. In addition to a coworking area with sundown and mountain views, there’s a bar with video games on website and soon-to-be-opened lodgings, a pool, and a health club. Costs begin from simply €8 a day, €40 per week, or €120 a month.
- Impact coworking area is within the coronary heart of Herceg Novi’s Outdated City. Desks begin from €15 and day and €100 a month. It’s pet pleasant and open 24/7 – simply in case you might be nearly working with folks in several time zones.
Actions and Issues To Do in Montenegro
There are such a lot of issues to do in Montenegro, you’ll by no means be in need of concepts. Listed here are just some issues digital nomads in Montenegro can do throughout downtime:
1. White Water Rafting in Tara Canyon
White water rafting down the Tara River is a very in style exercise in Montenegro.
The Tara River Canyon is the second deepest canyon on the earth and is inside Durmitor National Park, a UNESCO Heritage website. On this a part of the nation, you’ll be able to tick off the Tara Bridge, and hike across the Black Lake too.
Rafting firms provide a great deal of choices for thrill seekers, from day journeys and in a single day camps to week-long stays. Most rafting excursions depart from Sćepan Polje, which is round 2 ½ hours’ drive from the coast of Montenegro.
2. Go to a Winery and Get pleasure from a Wine Tasting
Montenegro boasts greater than 120 wineries so there are many choices to select from. In truth, many households in Montenegro make their very own wine and brandy.
Most tastings are accompanied by platters of native cheese, cured meats, and handmade bread. A tasting is an effective way to expertise the most effective wine and genuine delicacies of Montenegro. If you e book a tasting tour, you’ll be able to generally go for the vineyard to handle all of the logistics for you. This consists of transportation, so that you don’t have to fret about discovering a taxi residence.
The Crmnica area round Lake Skadar and Podgorica is Montenegro’s most well-known wine-making area. Masnovic Winery close to Skada Lake caters for excursions of simply two folks to massive events.
On this tour to a family-run boutique winery close to Lake Skadar, the hosts will take you thru their vineyards and educate you in regards to the historical past and manufacturing of their wines. You’ll then sit all the way down to pattern six natural wines and a choice of artisan liqueurs.
3. Discover Seashores and Nightlife in Budva
Apart from Podgorica, Budva is arguably the most effective nightlife spot in Montenegro. Lots of its golf equipment have rooftop areas so you’ll be able to get pleasure from a sundown (or dawn) with a fairly priced drink.
If clubbing isn’t your scene, there are many nice eating places in Budva, particularly within the Outdated City. My associate and I cherished strolling the 7 Bay Trail that takes you from Budva Outdated City to Sveti Stefan. The path is round 9km, however the lovely seashores are price it, particularly if you happen to cease for a espresso or a beer to absorb the views.
4. Spend Time within the Mountains
Throughout my keep, I caught the practice from Podgorica to Kolašin and spent just a few nights within the mountains.
The practice trip is spectacular and I quickly crammed up my digital camera roll with pictures alongside the way in which. The journey takes around an hour and 20 minutes and costs less than €10 per person.
I loved just a few days mountain climbing across the crystal clear lakes and countryside. In the event you’re serious about snowboarding, tools rental appeared very low-cost right here, and lots of lodges will hire to you by the day.
5. Get Misplaced in Kotor’s Outdated City
As you arrive in Kotor, one of many first stuff you’ll see is the previous fortress partitions. They seem to climb at a seemingly inconceivable angle up a steep hillside. These previous partitions nonetheless encase the Outdated City which is brimming with bars, eating places, and small outlets.
You possibly can spend a day wandering the cobbled streets, window buying, and sipping a glass of wine or two. The lighting on the previous stone partitions at night time is simply lovely. This walking tour will clarify the historical past behind the previous city and take you to the entire most fascinating websites.
You should definitely take a wander alongside the water’s edge too. There are some vibrant bars right here with views throughout the bay of the setting solar hitting the steep hills that encompass the water.
For the most effective views over the Bay of Kotor, take into account mountain climbing the Ladder of Kotor. The path starts immediately behind the city, simply exterior its partitions, and consists of over 70 switchbacks. It’s a steep 8-mile hike, however the views are unbelievable. You possibly can at all times minimize it brief if you happen to don’t fancy going the entire manner.
There’s an deserted village a few third of the way in which up with many resident goats, and a cafe simply earlier than this the place you’ll be able to seize a drink with the proprietor. He shared his native cheese and rakija with my husband and me as we admired the views beneath.
Climate in Montenegro
The climate in Montenegro can differ relying on the place you might be within the nation because it has mountainous areas with alpine climate situations that are nice for snowboarding, in addition to loads of seashores with extra of a Mediterranean local weather. Its number of geography affords the most effective of each worlds. Within the hotter months, you’ll be able to escape to the cooler mountains or the seaside if you happen to don’t fancy sweating it out within the hotter inland areas.
With lengthy summers and brief delicate winters, there’s not likely any time to ‘keep away from’ Montenegro, however the important thing vacationer season is April-September. In the event you like the nice and cozy solar in your face, then that’s the time to go to. The common summer season (Jul-Aug) coastal temperature is 27°C or 81°F however can attain as excessive as 40-42°C (104-108°F) in additional inland areas that don’t profit from a coastal breeze. Montenegro’s highlands have a way more average temperature in the summertime and infrequently attain above 25°C (77°F), which is an ideal temperature for mountain climbing, though it could actually get chilly at night time in these areas, generally even dropping beneath 0°C (32°F).
As a basic rule of thumb, Spring (March to Could) could be a little wet however is a good time to be in Montenegro, particularly on the coast the place it’s more likely to be between 15 and 20 °C (59-68°F) however not too crowded.
Autumn continues to be very nice and the ocean continues to be heat sufficient for a dip. Throughout autumn and winter (finish of October to February) it could actually get wet alongside the coast however nonetheless doesn’t get too chilly exterior of the ski resorts within the mountains.
Common winter temperatures on the Montenegro coast are round 10 °C (50 °F), however these will drop as you head inland and the additional and better you go into the mountains presently of yr the colder and snowier it would get. Eager skiers love winter in Montenegro and migrate to Kolašin and Žabljak to take advantage of the snow.
The climate makes being a digital nomad in Montenegro an interesting possibility all yr spherical.
Execs and Cons of Residing in Montenegro
As with wherever, there are each professionals and cons of being a digital nomad in Montenegro. After residing there, listed below are my ideas:
Execs of Residing in Montenegro
- Good climate all yr spherical. Sure, it will get fairly scorching in the summertime, however the winters are delicate. In the event you keep in Montenegro through the shoulder seasons, you’ll get pleasure from heat temperatures, with out the crowds.
- Low-cost SIM playing cards. You will get an enormous quantity of SIM card knowledge for under €10-€15. A cut price!
- It’s very protected. I by no means felt at risk, even strolling about at night time, and the individuals are very chatty and pleasant.
- It has a little bit little bit of every thing. Mountain climbing, snowboarding, seashores, previous cities, cafes, museums, and spectacular surroundings at each flip. Montenegro definitely has selection.
- Low-cost to stay. In the mean time, I nonetheless suppose Montenegro is one among Europe’s best-kept secrets and techniques. It’s a really budget-friendly nation to stay in as a digital nomad and it’s doable to do so much, with out a lot, in Montenegro.
- Montenegro is in a incredible location. You possibly can soar on a bus to Croatia or Albania, or get a practice to Bosnia. It is among the greatest locations to base your self in case you are trying to discover a number of Balkan international locations.
Cons of Residing in Montenegro
- Small digital nomad neighborhood. The digital nomad neighborhood right here is smaller than in different locations in Europe, because it’s in its early levels. You gained’t discover massive espresso outlets at each flip the place you’ll be able to sit amongst different freelancers, nonetheless, if you happen to base your self in one of many bigger cities, they’ll be not less than one coworking area to satisfy similar-minded folks.
- Summer time could be scorching and costly. The summer season season, from Could to September could be sweltering and a few of the coastal cities can be filled with vacationers.
- Not many buying alternatives. Podgorica has a pair, however there are not any main buying malls or buying areas exterior of the capital. Retailers are typically unbiased and grouped in small clusters.
Digital Nomad Visa for Montenegro
In December 2021, the Montenegrin authorities introduced the Program for Attracting Digital Nomads to Montenegro which was set to run till 2025. The goal was that it could entice the rising worldwide inhabitants of digital nomads to Montenegro. The dangerous information is that there hasn’t been a lot progress on this since, so there’s presently (on the time of writing), no Digital Nomad Visa obtainable.
While the Montenegro Digital Nomad Visa is being finalized, residents of the UK, USA, and Canada can enter the nation on a Brief Keep Visa (C Visa), or ‘Vacationer Visa’. Brief Keep Visas are issued to these visiting for as much as 90 days inside a 180-day interval. You don’t want to use prematurely for this visa; it’s granted when your passport is stamped at passport management.
As Montenegro isn’t a part of the Schengen Zone, time spent within the nation doesn’t rely in direction of any visa deadlines imposed by Schengen Zone international locations reminiscent of Italy or Spain. This makes Montenegro a wonderful city for digital nomads in Europe.
Hopefully, a selected digital nomad visa can be finalized quickly. In the event you’re keen to be versatile and have a need to see extra of the Balkans or Schengen Zone international locations, Montenegro continues to be an interesting location for digital nomads.
Extra particulars on Montenegro visas could be discovered here.
Montenegro actually is price contemplating as a vacation spot if you happen to’re a digital nomad. Its beautiful surroundings, delicate local weather, and cheap price of residing make it an excellent possibility for these capable of work remotely.
For British, US, and Canadian residents, the 90-day visa restrict is barely restrictive. With cautious planning although, you should use Montenegro as your Balkan base to discover neighboring international locations while having fun with the fantastic selection the nation has to supply.
I hope this information to residing in Montenegro has not less than impressed you to go to, and possibly in the future you’ll end up working from a balcony overlooking the Bay of Kotor!