There’s an ever-growing variety of apps for freelance writers. Numerous article writing apps and different software program for freelance writers all declare to have the ability to enable you to write extra, higher high quality, and in much less time.
Nevertheless, with so many apps and instruments out there, it may be exhausting to know the place to start out. That’s why I’ve put collectively this listing of the very best freelance writing apps that will help you determine which of them are literally price utilizing.
Freelance writing is likely one of the best jobs for digital nomads and anybody else who needs to work for themself and make money with an online job. As a freelance writer myself, I’m all the time in search of new methods to make my work simpler and more practical.
Used correctly, the next instruments can assist hold your work working easily and effectively and assist cease you from feeling overwhelmed.
Should you’re trying to change into a contract author, take a look at my overview of the Knowadays Freelance Writer course. I lately accomplished this course and supplied my trustworthy insights and ideas right here in this review.
Finest Apps For Freelance Writers
From apps for content material writing to plagiarism checkers, and file administration to communication instruments, this put up is all about 15 of the very best apps and packages for freelance writers.
When compiling this listing of instruments for freelance writers, I included most of the packages that I repeatedly use myself. For the remainder, I picked among the hottest and highly-reviewed apps out there on-line. To assist these on a price range, I’ve additionally included a number of free freelance writing apps.
Grammarly is likely one of the best-known, and most helpful, instruments to assist writers polish their work as much as a excessive commonplace. I exploit Grammarly on daily basis and suppose it’s the most effective freelance writing apps on the market.
As a contract author, it’s very important that you would be able to persistently ship writing that’s free from spelling errors and grammatical errors. However it’s additionally essential to make sure that your writing flows properly, is obvious, and has the proper tone.
Grammarly delivers this in an easy-to-use, set-and-forget format. It’s easy to put in and arrange and works as a plugin throughout a spread of platforms together with Chrome, Google Docs, Microsoft Workplace, Apple Notes, and extra.
Even higher, the usual model is free to make use of. You’ll be able to pay for the premium version ($144 per yr, $60 per quarter, or $30 monthly) which incorporates plenty of superior options, like superior tone and readability enhancing. However for my part, the fundamental free model is completely ample.
Professionals of Grammarly
- Broad vary of checks together with spelling, punctuation, grammar, tone, phrase alternative, and readability.
- Actual-time, correct instructed corrections.
- Customizable settings (e.g. you may set it to British, American, or Australian English).
- Properly-designed consumer interface.
- Suitable with a broad vary of platforms and different apps, together with Chrome and commonest Home windows and Mac functions.
- The essential model is free (and nice).
Cons of Grammarly
- Sometimes it may be a bit buggy with another functions (e.g. the WordPress editor).
- Frequent prompts to improve your account (which, I assume, is honest sufficient because it’s a freemium product).
- It may possibly’t study your voice, so typically makes solutions that don’t match with your individual private fashion.
- I’ve discovered that sometimes it makes a suggestion that isn’t correct, though this doesn’t occur too usually.
Scrivener is one other great tool designed to assist make freelance writers’ jobs simpler. The app acts as a phrase processor, a portfolio, and a scrapbook on your notes. It permits you to handle and arrange all your supplies, analysis, and writing in a single easy-to-access place.
Scrivener has plenty of superior options which might be designed to assist create a seamless analysis, writing, and enhancing course of. These instruments embrace analysis playing cards, customizable templates and presets, the power to import and index recordsdata, and metatags.
Scrivener is especially helpful for managing long-form writing initiatives. Whether or not you’re an aspiring novelist, a scriptwriter, a contract copywriter, or another kind of freelance author, these options can assist enhance your workflow and hold all the pieces organized and straightforward to entry.
It really works throughout all main working methods together with macOS, iOS, and Home windows. Price-wise, Scrivener has a one-off price of $59.99 for Mac or Home windows or $23.99 for iOS. There’s no free plan, though there’s a 30-day free trial so you may attempt it out before you purchase.
Professionals of Scrivener
- 30-day free trial with entry to all options.
- Customizable setup and interfaces for a personalised consumer expertise.
- Quite a lot of pre-set templates for varied completely different genres of writing.
- Offline performance.
- Useful tutorials for mastering the platform.
- Comparatively reasonably priced, one-off price.
Cons of Scrivener
- Requires separate licenses for every platform (so, if you wish to apply it to each Mac and Home windows, you should buy two licenses).
- No free model.
- Big selection of options may be difficult for some individuals to change into conversant in.
Evernote is basically a robust note-taking software that gives a easy but efficient means for jotting down concepts, conducting analysis, drafting articles, organizing your notes, and even creating to-do lists.
Many individuals (myself included) can discover the method of writing considerably chaotic and overwhelming at occasions. That is the place Evernote comes into its personal, making the inventive course of extra structured and manageable. This system has a spread of templates that will help you kickstart your note-taking course of.
It’s a really versatile platform and permits you to incorporate hyperlinks, tables, attachments, pictures, audio recordings, and even sketches into your notes. You’ll be able to even use it as a primary venture administration system and it’s appropriate with each Home windows and Mac.
Evernote has a free model with restricted options (together with a most notice measurement of 25 MB and a restrict of 60 MB uploads monthly). There’s additionally a Personal plan (at the moment $10.83/month or $129.99/yr) or a Professional plan $14.17/month or $169.99/yr) with a larger vary of performance.
Professionals of Evernote
- Easy, intuitive interface.
- Glorious software for note-taking and conserving your notes organized.
- There’s a free plan.
- Doc scanner function for digitizing handwritten notes or paperwork.
- Highly effective search operate makes it fast and straightforward to navigate via in depth notes.
Cons of Evernote
- The free model has restricted performance.
- Paid plans are comparatively costly for what you get.
- Sometimes it may be a bit buggy when syncing throughout a number of gadgets.
4. Google Docs
All people’s heard of Google Docs, proper? This unbelievable free software is tremendous helpful for freelance writers, particularly those that repeatedly work in collaboration with shoppers and others.
Google Docs is mainly like a free model of Microsoft Phrase, besides all the pieces is saved within the cloud and you may collaborate with a number of different customers concurrently. That is one other app that I exploit on a near-daily foundation and would advocate it to any freelance author.
Having the ability to share a doc together with your consumer and see edits and feedback in real-time is extremely useful. It makes the method of communication and revision a lot faster and simpler in contrast with “conventional” back-and-forth through e mail.
As a result of all the pieces is cloud-based, all your work is saved mechanically and will be accessed from any machine (Home windows or Apple) at any time. The model historical past function additionally permits you to observe modifications over time, which might turn out to be useful when engaged on a number of revisions.
Professionals of Google Docs
- It’s free.
- Actual-time collaboration so a number of individuals can edit paperwork concurrently.
- Cloud-based, so all the pieces is saved mechanically and will be accessed at any time (and from any machine).
- It’s tremendous intuitive and user-friendly.
- A great deal of useful options and settings from easy to superior.
- Suitable cross-platform, so you may edit the identical doc on an iPhone, an Android telephone, a PC, and a Mac all on the identical time!
Cons of Google Docs
- Lacks some superior formatting and enhancing options in contrast with Microsoft Phrase.
- You’ll be able to work offline, though real-time modifications are solely synced when you could have an web connection.
ProWritingAid is a robust software for freelance writers, serving as each a writing editor and a private writing coach. There’s a (restricted) free model, or you may pay $30 monthly, $120 per yr, or $399 for lifetime entry to the premium model.
Much like Grammarly, ProWritingAid helps to reinforce the standard of your writing by figuring out and fixing any spelling errors and grammatical errors. It additionally checks for plagiarism in addition to any contextual errors in your writing.
Top-of-the-line options of ProWritingAid is its capacity to revise obscure or unclear writing, providing useful solutions to enhance the standard of the textual content.
It’s a flexible platform and is appropriate with Home windows and Mac via browser extensions (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and so forth.) in addition to plugins for different apps comparable to Microsoft Phrase, Scrivener, and Google Docs.
Professionals of ProWritingAid
- In-depth grammar, spelling, and elegance checks to enhance writing high quality.
- Plagiarism checker to make sure content material originality.
- Straightforward to make use of.
- Suitable with many different writing instruments.
- Browser extensions for simple entry and usefulness.
- Inexpensive pricing (if you happen to pay yearly) plus a free model out there.
- There’s a lifetime plan, which is cost-effective in the long term.
Cons of ProWritingAid
- The free model has restricted performance.
- The premium model is comparatively costly if you happen to pay month-to-month.
- Sometimes suggests incorrect amendments.
- No cell app.
I’ve been utilizing Dropbox for so long as I can bear in mind, since properly earlier than I began working as a contract author. Nevertheless, it’s a very great tool for freelance writers who have to retailer, backup, share, and entry their work from wherever, together with on the go.
Dropbox is seamless and tremendous straightforward to make use of. It’s basically a drag-and-drop system the place you choose the recordsdata and folders you need it to entry and the platform does the remainder for you.
There’s a free plan that gives as much as 2GB of storage. If you need more, you may pay $22/month (or $18/month if you happen to pay yearly) for as much as 3TB of information.
I exploit Dropbox to again up my most essential pictures, paperwork, and recordsdata. It’s additionally a good way to share bigger recordsdata (like high-res pictures) with others, particularly if these recordsdata are bigger than the restrict that you simply’re in a position to ship by e mail.
Professionals of Dropbox
- Actual-time syncing of recordsdata throughout varied gadgets.
- Straightforward option to collaborate and share recordsdata/folders with others.
- Safe technique of backing up essential work.
- There’s a free model with as much as 2GB of storage.
- Suitable on all main working methods, together with iOS.
Cons of Dropbox
- The free plan provides solely 2GB of storage which may be inadequate for some.
The app blocks out distracting web sites and apps in your gadgets (Instagram, information web sites, and so forth.) permitting you to work in a quiet, conducive digital atmosphere.
You’ll be able to customise the web sites/apps that it blocks, and schedule “blocked” periods throughout which all distractions are saved at bay. It even has a “locked” mode for many who may be tempted to try to disable the blocker.
The app is appropriate with most main working methods (each cell and desktop) and prices $8.99/month if you happen to pay month-to-month, or $3.33/month if you happen to pay yearly.
Professionals of Freedom
- Effectively blocks distracting web sites and apps.
- Nice for many who battle with productiveness due to distractions.
- You’ll be able to pre-schedule “blocked” periods.
- “Locked” mode for stricter enforcement of the blocking guidelines.
Cons of Freedom
- It’s comparatively costly for what it’s (particularly if you happen to pay month-to-month).
- It may be too restrictive for some, particularly if you happen to wish to take common breaks and browse different issues on-line when working.
- Not crucial for everyone.
8. Hemingway Editor
Hemingway Editor is one other fashionable software for freelance writers trying to improve the standard of their written output. In addition to containing a typical spelling and grammar checker, it additionally provides enhanced insights on readability, sentence complexity, and lively vs. passive voice.
Hemingway Editor helps make sure that your writing is obvious, participating, and simply digestible. It makes solutions the place crucial to assist enhance the readability and tone of your writing.
It is a notably great tool for many who discover themselves writing overly advanced sentences, or utilizing an excessive amount of passive voice, which might typically have a destructive influence on the readability of the message being conveyed.
The online version of Hemingway Editor is free, making this a terrific possibility for freelance writers on a good price range. The offline desktop version is obtainable for a one-off price of $19.99, making it the most effective low cost freelance writing apps out there at present.
Professionals of Hemingway Editor
- Effortly improves your writing fashion, making textual content clearer and extra participating.
- Assesses readability and sentence complexity.
- Nice for many who battle with readability and overuse of passive voice.
- The web model is free.
- The offline desktop model is reasonably priced ($19.99 for lifetime entry).
- Suitable with each Home windows and Mac.
Cons of Hemingway Editor
- It could typically oversimplify advanced concepts or matters.
- Might not be appropriate for sure technical or advanced genres of writing (e.g. science, legislation, engineering, and so forth.).
- Some individuals may discover the solutions unhelpful, particularly when you have a definite writing fashion.
Canva is a superb software for freelance writers who additionally have to create visually interesting content material, comparable to social media posts, displays, posters, commercials, official firm publications, and the like.
With an intuitive drag-and-drop editor and an enormous variety of customizable templates and design sorts, it makes the in any other case lengthy and (dare I say it) tedious strategy of graphic design tremendous straightforward, fast, and satisfying.
I exploit Canva pretty usually and notably like its wealthy library of pictures and graphics. I additionally love how straightforward it’s to format and customise your individual templates, permitting you to provide constant designs at scale.
You’ll be able to entry the fundamental model of Canva at no cost. Canva Pro provides a spread of extra superior options, templates, and pictures and prices $119.99 for an annual subscription, or $14.99 if paid month-to-month.
Professionals of Canva
- Big library of templates, pictures, and graphics.
- Fast and easy to create lovely visuals and professional-looking designs.
- Customizable templates for model consistency.
- Person-friendly drag-and-drop editor.
- Straightforward to make use of, even for these (like me) with none background in graphic design.
- Suitable with Mac and Home windows.
- The free model is nice and has a lot of performance.
Cons of Canva
- You must pay for some superior options.
- The massive variety of options and templates may be overwhelming for some.
- Not prone to be helpful for text-only freelance writers.
10. Yoast Search engine marketing
Should you’re a contract author who wants to write down SEO-friendly content (eg. web site copy, weblog posts, and so forth.), Yoast SEO is likely one of the greatest and most helpful instruments round.
Yoast analyzes your writing and supplies actionable insights and suggestions on optimize your content material to make sure that it complies with SEO best practices. It has a beginner-friendly interface, making it a terrific software even for these unfamiliar with Search engine marketing.
Yoast Search engine marketing is a plugin for WordPress, which is a typical platform for managing on-line content material on web sites. The essential model is free and there’s additionally a paid Premium model that prices $99 per yr.
I exploit the free model on a regular basis and would extremely advocate it to any freelance author producing on-line content material.
Professionals of Yoast Search engine marketing
- Straightforward to make use of and intuitive interface.
- Offers sensible insights and suggestions for on-page Search engine marketing optimizations.
- Focus key phrase function helps you optimize content material round particular key phrases.
- Common updates and good buyer assist.
- The free model is nice.
Cons of Yoast Search engine marketing
- Suggestions is usually a bit overly prescriptive and mechanical.
- Solely helpful for freelance writers who want to write down Search engine marketing-optimized content material for on-line publication.
Copyscape is likely one of the greatest packages for plagiarism detection and is a superb software for any freelance author to make sure that the content material you produce is unique and free from any type of plagiarism.
It’s a web-based platform the place you enter the writing you wish to examine and it shortly scans the content material and allows you to understand how a lot (if any) of this materials seems wherever else on-line.
Copyscape is affordable and simple to make use of. You’ll be able to both copy and paste content material into the software or just add complete PDFs or Phrase paperwork and the software program scans it for you mechanically.
Copyscape is accessible through an online browser so isn’t depending on any working system. Pricing relies on the variety of phrases checked, beginning at 3 cents for the primary 200 phrases and 1 cent for every further 100 phrases.
Professionals of Copyscape
- It’s pretty low cost so long as you don’t have to examine very massive volumes of content material.
- Helps checking total paperwork in PDF and Phrase format.
- There’s a WordPress plugin for these writing on-line content material.
Cons of Copyscape
- The free model of Copyscape solely permits you to examine for plagiarised variations of your content material already on-line.
- To examine whether or not your content material incorporates plagiarism itself, you should pay.
- The associated fee can shortly add up for bigger paperwork/initiatives.
- It’s web-based so that you want web entry to make use of it.
Otter is an app that gives professional-quality speech-to-text dictation. It’s a terrific software for freelance writers preferring dictating their concepts relatively than writing them down and works in seconds to transcribe your spoken phrases into textual content.
There are many completely different speech recognition software program on the market all providing related issues. I’ve personally used Otter and it’s one of the vital correct instruments I’m conscious of, a lot better than the speech-to-text operate constructed into my iPhone or MacBook.
Otter is obtainable as an app for smartphones (iOS and Android), so it may be used wherever, together with on-the-go. My accomplice is a journalist and she or he additionally makes use of Otter to create transcripts of interviews and different conferences. It’s fairly versatile.
There’s a free model that provides you entry to primary options, in addition to a Professional model that prices $10/month (billed yearly). Otter Professional permits you to transcribe longer conversations, add colleagues to your workspace, import and transcribe audio and/or video recordsdata, and extra.
Professionals of Otter
- Very correct voice recognition.
- You’ll be able to add customized phrases like technical phrases, firm jargon, slang, and so forth.
- Integrates with different apps together with calendars, Slack, Groups, and so forth.
- Person-friendly interface that’s straightforward to make use of.
Cons of Otter
- You need to pay to entry premium options (like transcribing audio and video recordsdata).
- The associated fee may be a deterrent for some.
- It does sometimes errors (though, in equity, that’s true of all transcription software program, and Otter is certainly the most effective choices).
Slack is a well-liked software amongst freelance writers and different groups to remain in contact with their colleagues and shoppers.
Freelance writers can use it to speak with their shoppers, share paperwork (briefs, drafts, feedback, and so forth.), and focus on and collaborate in actual time. You need to use it to make calls, host video conferences, and for one-on-one or group immediate message chats.
Slack is obtainable as each an app (smartphone and desktop) in addition to through an online browser. It integrates with plenty of different apps and instruments (together with Google Suite) which additional enhances its performance.
I exploit the free model of Slack fairly repeatedly. There’s additionally a paid version that begins at $7.25 per consumer monthly (billed yearly) and has much more superior options.
Professionals of Slack
- Seamless communication with shoppers and colleagues.
- The free plan has a whole lot of helpful options.
- The paid model is pretty reasonably priced.
- Integrates with a lot of different apps and instruments.
- A number of built-in communication choices cater to varied communication wants.
- Straightforward-to-use and extremely customizable interface.
Cons of Slack
- Many individuals won’t just like the “all the time out there” nature of immediate messaging.
- I personally discover it may be difficult to maintain observe of ongoing conversations and the message historical past can get buried.
- The online browser model is commonly fairly sluggish to load.
I’ve lately began utilizing Notion and it’s been a recreation changer for me. Notion markets itself as a unified workspace that permits you to hold all your notes, initiatives, duties, and to-do lists in a single place.
Somewhat than having a number of tabs open on the high of your browser for every of your ongoing duties, you may file these all effectively inside Notion in an easy-to-access format.
It’s a good way to arrange your ideas, handle your schedules and deadlines, and hold all the pieces working easily. For me, as a freelancer and small enterprise proprietor, it permits me to juggle a number of initiatives concurrently with out feeling overwhelmed.
The essential model is free and comes with a terrific vary of options. There’s additionally a paid model, though I don’t actually suppose it’s crucial given how good the free model is. Notion additionally has apps for desktop and smartphones, though personally, I choose the web-based model.
Professionals of Notion
- An effective way to arrange your notes, duties, deadlines, and to-do lists.
- It’s an all-in-one workspace.
- Extremely versatile with a variety of helpful options.
- The free model is nice.
- Accessible in web-based format in addition to via apps (for smartphone, desktop, Mac, Home windows, and so forth.).
- Cross-platform performance.
Cons of Notion
- There’s a little bit of a studying curve once you first begin.
- Not everybody may discover it helpful, it is determined by the way you wish to work (however I’d nonetheless advocate attempting it – I find it irresistible!).
If, like me, you all the time have an intensive “to learn” or “to observe” listing, you’ll love Pocket. This nice little app permits you to save articles, web sites, documentaries, movies, and extra multi functional place, permitting you to entry them later.
For freelance writers, it is a nice option to retailer analysis and different supplies collectively, to assist hold all the pieces organized and straightforward to handle. You’ll be able to file issues away into folders, permitting you to refer again to them shortly at any time when you should, together with once you’re offline.
It’s additionally nice for private suggestions, no matter you’re keen on. Each time any person says, “You will need to learn X” or “Watch Y, it’s nice”, I save the suggestions in Pocket after which learn/watch them later at any time when I’ve time (e.g. on an extended flight or prepare journey).
The essential model of Pocket (which I exploit) is free. There’s additionally a Premium version that incorporates further options (like a everlasting library, superior looking out, note-taking, annotating and highlighting supplies, and so forth.) and prices $5 monthly or $45 per yr.
Professionals of Pocket
- The essential model is free (and nice).
- It’s a very environment friendly option to retailer and arrange content material that you simply wish to learn later.
- The app additionally recommends further content material so that you can learn primarily based in your private pursuits.
- Offline entry to saved content material (written solely, not video).
- Premium model provides further options together with superior looking out, limitless highlighting, and a everlasting library.
Cons of Pocket
- You’ll be able to’t save movies for offline playback.
- You need to pay for Premium options (though it’s nonetheless comparatively reasonably priced).
Should-Have Freelance Writing Instruments: FAQs
I feel Grammarly is an important app for freelance writers. It’s free and a good way to assist make sure that your writing reads properly and is free from spelling and grammatical errors.
A great way to get began with freelance writing is to create a portfolio that showcases examples of your earlier writing. Try freelance job boards like Upwork or Fiverr to seek for out there roles that you would be able to apply for. Taking an online freelance writing course may also assist hone your expertise and make you stand out from different candidates.
Some freelance writers get paid extremely well. Others, a lot much less so. How a lot you receives a commission is determined by a number of elements together with your stage of expertise and the sector(s) that your shoppers are in. That stated, the typical freelance author in the US earns more than $25 per hour.
I extremely advocate benefiting from these apps for freelance writers to assist maximize your productiveness, handle deadlines, and optimize the standard of your writing.
I exploit many of those instruments every day. They’re all nice and assist me enormously, I hope you discover them helpful too. Should you’re contemplating changing into a contract author, take a look at the course with Knowadays. I lately accomplished this course and extremely advocate it. Use this link and promo code GOATS25 for 25% off.